Z series

Started by Shark Hunter, November 10, 2016, 05:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Nice Haul today. 704, 720 and 710z with box and paperwork.
The 720 has a tweaked bail. No biggie.
Life is Good!

rippin_lips

Wow, you must have quite the collection of penn reels.

thorhammer

I've been trying to get new pics out him for a year for "Show your collections" thread....I think he's picked up pace in that year....

Shark Hunter

Quote from: rippin_lips on November 10, 2016, 01:16:14 PM
Wow, you must have quite the collection of penn reels.
I have a few.
Patience John. I will make good on it.
I need to do this when the wife is gone. Its going to take up some room. ;)
Life is Good!

mo65

Nice haul indeed! I see you've been filling out your Spinfisher collection Daron. I need to step up my game there...I only have one spinfisher, but it's a mint 712z. I really like the bronze colored 720z, gotta get me one of those.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

New 722 in Box with Manual, Lube and paperwork.
I have collected all the Z's in a matter of two weeks.
No South Paws.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Very nice Daron, I'm still looking for the 722Z in black. There was a new one for sale from a good seller, but had a couple of spots so I let it go.
South Paws will give you a harder time, but you should be able to find some, not sure if you'll find them new though, I got lucky.

Oh, I almost forgot the 707Z. That one might be just a dream, not ready to dish out 1 or 2 K for one :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

This is that reel Sal. Fisher Man had it.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I'm glad that reel is among us, it was starting to bother me for not getting it. Fisher man is a great guy, if you were looking for lefties, check with him.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

If you still need that 716Z handle. I have one with your name on it.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Thanks Daron, I'm good on the handle. Fred was ready to ship one out at the same time he sent you one, but I told him not to. I was able to put one together from the penn parts I got not long ago.
Thanks to both of you again.

Shark Hunter

I picked up another 704z that looked like it needed some TLC. The seller said it was hard to crank.
For $40 bucks, I'll give it a shot. I knew it was a little rough, but the hard to crank term was an understatement.
I thought it was just all gummed up. Not the case. It must be the pinion bearing.
I can see myself getting schooled here. Bail is a mess. It snaps quick, but the bumper is toast and the bail screws are shot.
The way they are chewed up, it looks like they used a butter knife.  >:(
It looks like an attempted service, but no Cigar.
The bail arm is also rubbing the rotor.
Hopefully I can get off with a new pinion bearing, bumper and bail screws.
I want to keep it all original, except for one of Bryan's drag kits.
I can't sleep without opening this up.
Come to find out, the bearing is fine. There was some rust on the Main Gear shaft rubbing the case bushing. ::)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Got the pinion gear out last night. That was no easy task. It is in great shape.
Waiting on new bail screws and a bumper.
Life is Good!

mo65

Great job gettin' in there and making those reels right Daron. I need to sharpen my spinning reel skills. One of these days I'll launch in on one...prolly end up with another obsession...HA! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

The 720z and 722z are oddballs of the series.  The model numbers would imply they are the smallest of the series but both are larger than the 716z. The 720z and 722z also have a different body shape than the other Z's but same style as the original 720 and 722 (original greenies, but blue and teal color).

The greenies have been showing up regularly of late.  That's another interesting group to collect but the numbering is really confusing.  To make matters worse, the numbers were on the medallions and many of the medallions have fallen off now.  The oddball in the greenie series is probably the 710 with the plastic spool.  In my youth I scrimped and cut grass to buy a new 700 with non-collapsible handle (rare now) and a new 710 (much more common now but with the flawed plastic spool).  Naturally, I sold the 700 for a pittance within a few months but still have the 710 almost fifty years later.

-steve