Thoughtful help for new guys

Started by Indyfisher, November 13, 2016, 05:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyfisher

I see a lot of posts about carbon drags and greasing them as a start for first reel mods and tuning. Just keep in mind those metal washers are just as important. Make sure they are flat and free of any spots that hinder flat and smooth contact. Then you will feel the perfection of a true smooth drag system.

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Great point, Richard --

Something else to consider in certain instances --

When installing CFs.

If putting together a reel that has a SS sleeve -- and I might be concerned about the SS washers scoring the sleeve -- I flat surface sand new brass washers down to dead flat -- up to 400 grit -- then smooth off any burrs -- and steel wool with "0000".

They work plenty good if greased with Cal's -- and under a heavy lift with a big fish -- the sleeve will not become gouged.

Maybe not recommended -- but plenty of my clients in SoCal or Mexico have had very good results -- particularly when an overly aggressive deck hand or newbie tightens the drag down close to full lock so he can get the fish in faster.

Just depends on the application, angler, and fish targeted.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Indyfisher

I fish a lot of 6500 and 7000 ambassadeur reels trolling and catfishing. Had a friend buy a couple used 6500c off that one site. He just threw in some new fibers without looking at anything else and complained about jerky, uneven drag like the normal Garcia washers are famous for. I opened his reel to immediately find the top drag plate lumped with corrosion spots. I've learned through experience most all used Garcia reels have this issue. Sanded them flat to save him a few bucks and he says it's like a whole different reel. Just think a lot of new guys throw everything in and expect amazing results without thinking about the importance of everything as a whole.

Indyfisher

Great point about the sleeves Fred.
I'm Richard, my son's names are my Mail. Love all your knowledge and input Fred. Your a classy gentleman.

theswimmer

Quote from: foakes on November 13, 2016, 07:21:39 PM
Great point, Richard --

Something else to consider in certain instances --

When installing CFs.

If putting together a reel that has a SS sleeve -- and I might be concerned about the SS washers scoring the sleeve -- I flat surface sand new brass washers down to dead flat -- up to 400 grit -- then smooth off any burrs -- and steel wool with "0000".

They work plenty good if greased with Cal's -- and under a heavy lift with a big fish -- the sleeve will not become gouged.

Maybe not recommended -- but plenty of my clients in SoCal or Mexico have had very good results -- particularly when an overly aggressive deck hand or newbie tightens the drag down close to full lock so he can get the fish in faster.

Just depends on the application, angler, and fish targeted.

Best,

Fred

Totally agree Fred.
Prepping the metal components is as critical as any other part of the drag system.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn