some newell reels to the addiction I mean collection

Started by steelfish, November 15, 2016, 05:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

this is what I just got for servicing some reels to a friend's friend, he gave them to me cuz they werent working and he didnt planned to fix them anytime soon.
Im not a newell guy but this both reels look really good for local fisheries, 540 have some serios work on the double dog assembly.
the rest of the parts on both reels sound mechanically good, no bend parts, no corrosion anywhere, so this will just need some parts missing, a complete service and will be good for many more years.

S344-5  and 540-5.5

540 have a shredded pinion 5.5 ratio

344 have a broken spool lever spring

so, if anyone have any of those parts, shoot my a PM to work on the details to get them from you
thanks
The Baja Guy

David Hall

Bryan Young

Wow!  I have never seen a pinion shread like that before.

I know where I can find a spring, but the pinion gear will be difficult. Also if the pinion gear looks like that, how did the main gear look?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 15, 2016, 11:09:33 PM
Also if the pinion gear looks like that, how did the main gear look?

that was my first thought so I checked the main gear out and everything seems in good shape, I dont have a good picture of the main gear but I took two pics of the double dog assembly and you can see the main gear behind, the visible part of the gear teeth looks ok

I think I will be good with just the pinion, if I can find it
The Baja Guy

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

reel man

Looking at the picture of the bridge plate I see the antireverse pawl has been installed upside down.

I will mention this the pinion and main gear should be a matched set to prevent grinding.  If you could send me your main gear I probably have a smooth pinion gear to match up with the main.

steelfish

cool, sounds like a nice plan I will PM you with details

The Baja Guy

steelfish

well, that newell 540 was sold almost 6 months after posting it and few months later I got sellers remorse, I was looking to get me another 500 series newell for long time but no avai........until last weekend.

I like narrow reels, so in my books I was 2x lucky cuz I found a better reel than my previous 540, I found an S533 5.5 in great condition, this reel is perfect for casting for the YT, it needs some love (dang I need to stop having "project reels"), the only thing that needs to be working again is two new bearings, one was badly corroded to the point I took it out in pieces from the handle sideplate, and the other one it simply dont spin at all, the drag can be upgraded to a 5+1 from Bryan Young, other than that I think I will leave the rest of the parts stock, I might change the handle for something with a bigger knob later but not now.
good thing is main gear and pinion are in perfect condition, they are really hard to find

before opening the reel I tested the drag, with I think 150 yds of 150lb braid line, I know the lower the line on the spool the higher the drag numbers, but it impresed me that I got near 30# drag maybe more, I didnt wanted to pull harder while holding the reel with my knees and pulling, I know is not the best way but it helps to give me an idea of the drag when cleaning a reel just to check if I put everything on correct order, then I can adjust from that.

this is my first time working on a newell with go through bar long screw, how do you guys take them out? with some heat and hits with a hammer?
I already worked on the right side of the reel, but I would like to take the left rings to clean them and put some yamaha grease on them for protection

The Baja Guy

Swami805

The Newell bug has struck!!  Those long screws can be a reel pain to get out. It takes a tiny socket wrench to get a hold of them without buggering them up. Use some penetrating oil to see if they come loose,not unusual for them to be pretty corroded inside and they snap off. You can try to pound them out just be careful. I might have a few screws laying around if you break some.
Cortez Conversion sells an SS bearing cap to replace the cheesey black plastic one. Bryan Young's drag kit is a huge improvement. Bearings are no trick. A triburon frame is a big improvement too, I like the graphite spool for casting.
Those are nice, you should enjoy it!
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

I'm digging on your bearing puller....might have to make one of those for myself! ;D

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on January 24, 2019, 04:06:34 AM
The Newell bug has struck!!  

...and pretty badly LOL

this P229-F was bough in 2017, after I made this thread in 2016
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21911.0   and I still have it  :)

aaand I also  ::) ::) found the next G447-F in nice condition to increase my newell collection, it was sold to me for cheap cuz the drad star is missing one of the points and in the reel seat the rear "tongue" is also broken and is missing the rod clamp assembly, so it cannot be used on a rod like that, as you already know, this model has the metal bearing caps in both sideplates which is nice, I didnt posted it before cuz I have it in my office along with some old reels (that way my wife never see all my reels in just one place), I have it since last spring and I havent searched for those broken parts yet.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Fishy247 on January 24, 2019, 06:55:49 PM
I'm digging on your bearing puller....might have to make one of those for myself! ;D

you should !!

that expensive bearing puller worth every nickel I spent, it have save me a tons of times from stubborn bearings
The Baja Guy

Fishy247

QuoteI'm digging on your bearing puller....might have to make one of those for myself! Grin

you should !!

that expensive bearing puller worth every nickel I spent, it have save me a tons of times from stubborn bearings

A nickel?!?!? I dunno....sounds like you got overcharged on that one...lol

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on January 24, 2019, 04:06:34 AM
Use some penetrating oil to see if they come loose,not unusual for them to be pretty corroded inside and they snap off. You can try to pound them out just be careful. I might have a few screws laying around if you break some.

I used lots of penetrating oil and it worked, well just in part  ;D, I even used heat from a heat gun and pretty sure that helped a bit too, but some of the long screws didnt wanted to give up, there were 8 long screws, 4 "shorts" ones and 4 long ones, I have no problem with the short ones, they came up with tons of corrosion but in one pieces, I cannot say the same of the 4 long screws, only one survived  ::)
so, now Im missing 3 long screws and dont want to go with the tiburon frame yet, maybe if Tiburon came with a XH frame like the 113hxn I would get one.

in the last pic the screws are already cleaned from the muddy corrosion they came up, I still need to put them on vinegar and scrub them with a soft metal brush
The Baja Guy

Swami805

I have some of those long screws, measure them and I'll see if they'ii work for you.  I might have a stand too that takes long screws.
Do what you can with that you have where you are