A Most Efficient System for Cleaning Metal Parts -- Quick & Safe

Started by foakes, November 20, 2016, 06:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Always looking for ways to become more efficient & quicker when servicing and restoring old reels.

I generally soak really nasty & greasy caked on parts in lacquer thinner to loosen and clean them up.

Generally takes a couple of hours for the bad ones -- or overnight -- then a fair amount of after cleaning also.

Decided to use a jelly jar on some parts from a 45 year old DAM Quick 110 Microlite -- and try to speed up the process with the ultrasonic cleaner.

Took the reel apart -- separated all parts into various glass containers within the water filled reservoir of the US cleaner.

All steel, chromed brass, bronze, copper, and other plain metals went into the Lacquer -- painted parts and plastic parts went into the 50/50 Simple Green and water.

6 minutes was all I ran it for -- the results were fantastic.

Little or no follow up cleaning -- all parts bright, shiny, clean -- after a fresh water rinse and drying.

Do not use lacquer thinner on painted, plastic, or graphite parts -- it will melt and ruin them.

Old dog learns new tricks, I guess.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff Fred.
I wish I had a building outside of my home to get it done quick.
I'm not shy from using powerful cleaners, but it is limited to the driveway.
Life is Good!

foakes

Doing 2 more for the same guy --

A Mitchell 308 & a Quantum.

This 308 was so gummed up -- I was afraid the handle would bend when trying to crank the reel.

All internals were black and gritty -- externals were tarnished or gunky.

5 minutes to disassemble -- 6 minutes in the US cleaner -- 5 minutes to rinse and dry parts

Hopefully will post another completed pic in 15 or so minutes when it is reassembled, greased, tuned, and oiled.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

Completed --

It is not really only about how fast the US cleaner does the work with the lacquer thinner -- it is the degree of cleanliness inside every tiny bearing, nook, and cranny.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Totally agree Fred. The UC is a very efficient method and saves masses of time.

foakes

Right, Chris --

Having used an ultrasonic cleaner now for around 16 years -- it is indespensible to my operation.

My surprise was using the lacquer thinner with the US cleaner -- aliminum that previously would get a black film after cleaning -- particularly on Mitchells & Daiwas -- now comes out sparkling and clean.

The (3) solutions that I have used primarily are the ZEP HD Industrial Purple Degreaser, Simple Green, and plain White Vinegar.  

Now the lacquer thinner has a strong place in the line up.

Knowing what type of solutions to use with certain materials for best case results -- is key.

And I guess something I forgot to mention -- having the US Cleaner with various effective liquid solutions has allowed me to have a shop in the house for convenience -- because compared to the kerosene parts cleaners and such -- this is a quick, safe, and simple cleaning method.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Fred, so the lacquer thinner goes into the jar along with the parts, regular water in the US and no heat I would assume. Is this correct?
Thanks,  ..  Lou

foakes

Exactly, Lou --

I have never used heat with the US cleaner.

Plus, the lacquer thinner is typically reused for 10 to 12 reel cleanings.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

I have been using IPA (isopropyl alcohol not Indian Pale Ale :D) for the spirit cleaner. The smell (indoors) is tolerable and it's a lot safer than many spirits ;)
I have used mild heat occasionally - usually with UK equivalent to simple green (not IPA it evaporates too quickly).

Tiddlerbasher

Also for the second clean for the bearings I use virgin IPA.

Alto Mare

Very cool Fred, thanks for sharing.

On bearings, this stuff has been doing great for me, I've been using it for over 4 years.

It would be very hard for me to use something else, but you never know.

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Any brand or type a lacquer thinner Fred, or is one better n' others?

I coveted the 110 and the 308/408 when I's a kid, but couldn't afford 'em(esp. after my brothers 110 was confiscated for illegal fishing, an I hada buy him a new one), do you have a preference?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

swill88

Thanks Fred!

After they banned MEK many years back I discovered lacquer thinner for removing all things evil in my work.

I wear nitrile or latex gloves with that stuff and always have good ventilation!

Steve

handi2

I was doing some Mitchell's a month ago and used the US Cleaner for a super clean. On one of them I put it in and turned around to wash my hands. I looked back and paint was floating on top in sheets. Less than 30 seconds.

It had been painted....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Quote from: Gfish on November 20, 2016, 06:21:54 PM
Any brand or type a lacquer thinner Fred, or is one better n' others?

I coveted the 110 and the 308/408 when I's a kid, but couldn't afford 'em(esp. after my brothers 110 was confiscated for illegal fishing, an I hada buy him a new one), do you have a preference?
Gfish

I believe there is not any difference in beands of lacquer thinner, Gfish -- so the cheaper the better.

Generally buy a couple of gallons at a time for the cheapest price on sale.

On the 110 vs. the 308/408 -- my personal preference is the 110.  Although the little Mitchells are good reels, and more attractive, IMO.

Someday, I will do a direct photo comparison of a 300 Mitchell vs. a 220 Quick -- then a 308/408 Mitchell vs. a 110 Quick.

Steel worm drive with bronze main gear, steel crank shaft with 1.5" sleeved body for the crank, HD handle crank, oversize main bearing, best A/R system of any reel, stronger aircraft grade aluminum body, and much
more -- but the big thing is the strength along with the spooky tight tolerances that never get out of perfect -- unless dropped or damaged -- even after 50 years.

Just my personal opinions.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.