Adding anti reverse pawl to 6500c4

Started by Surfwrangler, November 20, 2016, 05:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indyfisher

Indyfisher

Find it odd a tackleshop had brake plates that were for all right handed reels.

Surfwrangler

As I understand it you guys added the dog and pin to your existing plate.  I could also do that but was looking for a quick easy swap out of a plate that already had dog and pin.  "The tackle shop only had plates with pins on the opposite side (right hand) whereas I would need one that was mirrored so that I could reel forward otherwise backwards would be forward. Dizzy yet. Anyways I may still do it one day but will be fine for now.

steelfish

Quote from: jzman on November 20, 2016, 07:28:31 PM
The dogs are available in the u.s.  Check ebay. the post last i checked are only available in sweden.Gonna cost bout 20-30 bucks after shipping.

http://shop.lundgrensfiske.com/product.asp?product=12012

You are better off buying the sideplate which has the post already in it.

hmm $30 bucks for the post as a second AR system.. kind on the expesive side for me considering the targeted species
the stock 6500c3 have served really good with my from-shore fisheries.

maybe after the too many reel upgrade projects Im currently running
The Baja Guy

Keta

They were much cheeper when I did mine.  The pin would not be that hard to make on a lathe.

Quote from: Surfwrangler on November 23, 2016, 12:13:20 AM
As I understand it you guys added the dog and pin to your existing plate.  I could also do that but was looking for a quick easy swap out of a plate that already had dog and pin.  "The tackle shop only had plates with pins on the opposite side (right hand) whereas I would need one that was mirrored so that I could reel forward otherwise backwards would be forward. Dizzy yet. Anyways I may still do it one day but will be fine for now.

It took me less than 5 min to put the pins in 3 reels, not counting the time to take them apart and reassemble.  
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2016, 12:42:38 AM
They were much cheeper when I did mine.  The pin would not be that hard to make on a lathe.

well, maybe there is a big market for a pin post to add a dog, who knows....

if you ever decide to make some of those pins I would need 3 at least.
The Baja Guy

Keta

Quote from: steelfish on November 23, 2016, 12:58:40 AM
Quote from: Keta on November 23, 2016, 12:42:38 AM

well, maybe there is a big market for a pin post to add a dog, who knows....

if you ever decide to make some of those pins I would need 3 at least.

Remind me, my machinest friend is elk hunting in a blizzard for a week.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

The Baja Guy

hurt locker

A 6000TG brake plate has the pin already on it and should fit right in place. I dropped a 6501C4  and bent the clicker side plate badly once. so Ibought a new frame and brake plate and side plates and pressed the anti reverse bearing in place and ended up with a 6000 TG with the dog and instant anti reverse.

steelfish

Quote from: hurt locker on November 23, 2016, 02:32:44 AM
A 6000TG brake plate has the pin already on it and should fit right in place.

not familiar with that model, I couldnt find it on a quick search
The Baja Guy

hurt locker

Quote from: steelfish on November 23, 2016, 02:41:43 AM
Quote from: hurt locker on November 23, 2016, 02:32:44 AM
A 6000TG brake plate has the pin already on it and should fit right in place.

not familiar with that model, I couldnt find it on a quick search

If you Google "Abu 6000TG" on the fist page are 4 schematics. Click on the 3rd one in, it shows the pin and the dog. Hope this helps. TG stands for Tournament Grade.

My mistake " click on third one under images.

Keta

I talked to my machenest friend and he said his lathe will hold the material and he will make some pins.
Let me know if you want one.

Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: Keta on November 27, 2016, 02:52:55 AM
I talked to my machenest friend and he said his lathe will hold the material and he will make some pins.
Let me know if you want one.

If thats for me I Will need 3 at least Lee
The Baja Guy

Keta

Got it Alex, I will add 2 more to yours.

Mark Twain

mley1

Have there been issue's with Abu instant anti reverse bearings failing? I've been using Abu's for years and never had one fail on me. I've caught lots of heavy fish, bull reds, jacks, trout, small sharks......etc. I haven't had any problems with my instant anti reverse, but I don't button the drags down tight either. I'm just wondering how much of an issue it is with the targeted fish species that folks use that size reel for.
Good luck fishing,

Marty