NOTES ON THE SYNCRO POST, AND OTHER 7 SIZED ABUS...

Started by Ken_D, April 03, 2011, 07:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken_D

Well done Syncro post !!! I did an oops, because for whatever reason, my pc hiccupped, and I lost the post.

A couple of operating notes with these Swedish style 7 sized Abus: Now and again the hub inside the main gear will loosen, so the sport will note there is no drag. That's because the gear is spinning around the hub.  

A temporary fix with 'crazy glue' will hold for a few fish, but the real solution is a new main gear. Also:
The wee prongs under the main gear will break off over time, if the star is cranked full down for long time-periods.

On the Syncro: over time, with sports slamming the feature back and forth using the syncro feature, wham-wham, the bottom steel washer will wear two grooves equal and opposite, into the driveshaft, virtually "friction-welding" the stack together !! Most dis-concerting.   This situation needs force. Lots of force, applied in an intelligent manner.

Locate an acorn type 6500 handle nut, or a plain one, and thread onto the syncro driveshaft, barely above the brass.  Next, grasp the main gear in a circle around your thumb and forefinger, tightly. Then grab a hammer and WHACK the driveshaft really hard. The 65 sized nut will prevent the threads from distorting. You may need 2-3 hits to break loose the steel washer from the driveshaft, but it will dis-engage.

You can then file the grooves smooth on the driveshaft, and prepare to do this again down the road, or buy a new driveshaft, and be ready for it to fail over the same length of time the first one did.
Hope this helps. KD.

Roger

Ken, you must be making up for lost time. I just seen another of your posts over on 2Cool........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Ken_D

LOL, Roger....I am entering the mad world of shimano, and I had never done a 700B before. Or any Shimano for that matter, as they were not sold here before. They are now, so I need to get some Shimano smarts. 
and 2cool's pretty popular.  KD.