"No Grease"

Started by Roger, April 04, 2011, 01:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Get'n ready for snapper season and picked up a new TLD 20 to go along with the used 15's I got last winter. Opened this thing up today, straight out of the box and there was literally no grease at all in this reel. There was a dab on the AR dog spring and a little bit on the spool shaft when I unscrewed the preset knob. I guess Shimano's trying to save a little money.
Oh, in the last pic, I signed my reel after seeing that one the other day.........

Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

paal

I think someone at Shimano must have take a "Lean" class.....  :o

Bryan Young

Quote from: paal on April 04, 2011, 11:58:03 AMI think someone at Shimano must have take a "Lean" class.....  :o

"Lean"  Let's not go there...

Normally, you do not need any grease or oil on the graphite composite parts.  But am surprise the that metal surfaces do not have a coating of at least oil.

The bearings and gears normally comes oiled.  Not sufficient for my liking.  My hunch is that they know that a lot of people will be doing a pre-service, so why should they???  See, it's because of Alan.  Mfgs don't think they need to do as much because he is teaching everyone to do pre-use service on the reels.   ;D ;D ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

pre use service i like that term. i think im gonna try that one.

alantani

does it say "malaysia" on the reel seat?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

YEP !!!!!!!!!
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Alan are you a magician? ;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Roger

Sorry about that, Fogot and moved them and then tried to move 'em back. It ain't the first time I've done that...........
Roger

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 06, 2011, 01:10:09 PM
Alan are you a magician? ;D ;D ;D

nope, just been there, done that........   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!