A Rare & Little Known D.A.M. Quick Reel

Started by foakes, November 27, 2016, 04:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

A comparable reel in size to the Mitchell 300 -- is the D.A.M. Quick 220.

Although, it is possibly 3 times as strong as a Mitchell.

A little known and rare Version of the 220, is the scarce and lightly produced 221.

Generally, when a knowledgeable and savvy angler uses a properly set up 221 -- they will never use anything else in this class.

Reasons? --

5:1 high speed gears, instead of 3:1.  This allows a more natural presentation of a lure or bait when fishing rivers -- because the faster gear ratio is able to keep up with a swiftly moving bait in the current -- without snagging slack or bumping the bottom, reversible crank for right or leftys.

The longer crank gives the angler more torque and a better grip for speed when needed.

These reels are overbuilt to last -- components are oversize steel bearings, steel worm drive pinion supported at both ends, oversize main gear made from phospher cut bronze, steel crank shaft, 8 position positive A/R that stops the gear every 45 degrees at the main gear -- not the rotating head.

If you get a chance to pick up a 221 -- it would be hard to find a tougher and more reliable spinner for trout, bass, stripers, salmon, cats, and such.

I built this one for a client this afternoon.

Impressive mechanics and engineering.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely reel Fred.
While scanning fleabay, as you do, I came across this reel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-fine-German-DAM-Quick-super-fixed-spool-fishing-reel-with-regulator-dial-/272246121881?hash=item3f63222599:g:kWAAAOSw1DtXJJ9I

I've never heard of a regulator dial before :-\
Have you seen one of these before?

gumpie44

Its A Line Counter, Used On Some Early DAM Super Models. Not Often Seen
Barry :)
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on November 27, 2016, 04:07:06 AM
A little known and rare Version of the 220, is the scarce and lightly produced 221.

Thanks to Fred's extraordinary kindness, I unexpectedly own one of these gems:

At the time Fred gifted it to me, being wholly unfamiliar with the DAM Quick line, I didn't realize what a little treasure it really was, but now I certainly do!  :o

As always, Fred's generosity knows no bounds... THANK YOU, dear friend!  :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 27, 2016, 11:58:27 AM
Lovely reel Fred.
While scanning fleabay, as you do, I came across this reel:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-fine-German-DAM-Quick-super-fixed-spool-fishing-reel-with-regulator-dial-/272246121881?hash=item3f63222599:g:kWAAAOSw1DtXJJ9I

I've never heard of a regulator dial before :-\
Have you seen one of these before?

Out of 30 or 40 270 Supers -- I have 3 or 4 with this feature.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Got the snow shoveling done -- so building a few more 220 & 221 from parts out of the bins.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Cortez_Conversions

Pretty little reels fred, thanks for sharing.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Tiddlerbasher

Fred what does the 'regulator dial' actually do?
Chris.

gumpie44

The Dial On The DAM Super Was Called The Quick-O-Mat,  You Would Set The Dial to 0, Make Your Drop Or Cast, Wind The Line In And The Dial would Read Distance in Yards. Was Not A Popular Option, Not That Useful. Had A DAM Super  In The 70s Fished So. CA Piers and Jetties.
Barry
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

foakes

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 28, 2016, 10:17:33 AM
Fred what does the 'regulator dial' actually do?
Chris.

Barry is correct...

It was introduced around 1954 in the old Standard 260 and a year later as the 270 Super was introduced.

Somewhat useful -- but really just a gimmick.

Like most of the fishing gear we buy -- the designing is not so much to catch fish -- but to catch Anglers.

One could cast out line -- set the Quick-O-Mat to "0" -- reel the line back in -- then you would have a measurement of how deep or far your bait was.

Measured meters in Europe, yards in the US.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mycodad

I'm a new member with a finessa 285 which I love for the power but would like more speed. Is there any chance you could build me a 221 or put me in touch with one? Thanks, dave

foakes

Hi mycodad --

Welcome!

A 221 is a very good reel -- and high speed -- IMO, a solid choice.

However, if looking for the same size as the 285 Finessa (which is the 330 size) another possibility to consider might be a 331.  It is high speed at 5:1 -- with a longer crank also.

Or you could go with the 221 for a bit smaller reel than your current 285 -- so you could have both sizes.

I would be glad to do either one, if you decide to go that route -- I do have both options.

Really depends a lot on the type of fishing, target species, and what you want to end up with.

PM me, and we could discuss your options -- Glad to help, if possible.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

mo65

That 221 is so cool...built like a tank!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

CH

Hi :)
I found this forum from searching up info on my Quick 110 & 110N reels.
Decided to join as there is mucho info on reel repair, history and upgrade options.

I remember seeing my first Quick reel while a youngster wade fishing for smallmouths in the Great Miami river in Dayton, Ohio.( all I ever wanted to do when younger) I was using my treasured Mitchell 308, Fenwick 4ft. 10in rod and a white rooster tail (as usual). Ran onto this older guy in his 20's that was U.L. fishing too. He was using a 110 Quick and a #0 mepps with a squirrel tail. He was slaying them at about 3 to 1 on my hits. ( found out that day the Mepps out fished the Rooster Tail in those streams anyway)

We got to talking and fishing together and he let me try out his Quick 110 after bragging it up long and hard to me. Well, it was love at first cast. I saved up, did several chores for my grandma and bought one. (EXPENSIVE REEL! Almost $30). Still have it and it's been my main UL reel since. I own 2 other 110, a 110N and other makes. But still go back to the tried & true 110.

I got pretty good at catching really big fish on the UL quick set up. Use to be my hobby when young of fishing for big carp in the spring flood times. And lots of blue & channel cats. And of course trout, crappy, sauger, largemouths and such. Moved to Florida for a spell and used the 110 in fresh and salt catching all sorts of stuff.

BTW-- still have my Mitchell 308 too and still use it off and on.

Anyways, after reading these posts by  Fred aka "foakes", Ive got stoked up and now am gonna have to get me a Quick 221. Also interested in maybe upgrading to CF drag setups as the Quick drag definitely could be a bit smoother. ( thinking the 110N would benefit from the CF upgrade more than the 110)

Also cleaning and renewing some reels that have not been used for years due to minor repairs they needed. Loving every minute of it.

Learning a load from reading your posts Fred! :) Thanks a million for sharing your knowledge and for the inspiration to remain a fan of the good ole tried and true rods and reels from the days when they really made stuff right. I see a renewed interest in collecting & fishing vintage equipment. I'm getting urges for split bambo spinning rods and Italian reels all the sudden now too, LOL.

Thanks again Fred :)

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted