penn 750ssm help

Started by Hadge, April 04, 2011, 05:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadge

A little help needed. I serviced two Penn 750ssm reels. At the start one worked smoother than the other I thought a good going over would have them both running the same. But after 3 redo's of the slower reel I gave up. I did notice the one that ran smoother had more what I would call shim washers. Two between the pinion and bearing and 3 between main gear and bearing. Were these reels made more poorly and need to be tweak a bit.
The bearings are cleaned and seem fine. Maybe I'm wrong on this and need new bearings, but in my opinion there fine.
Both reels work well, but having two side by side one is smoother
???
Hadge
Hadge

Alto Mare

Sometimes its just the way it is. I have a few 750's but not the SSM, mine are the SS, I service all of my reels and some are doing the same as yours, but I'm not too worried about it. I don't beleive that there is anything wrong, sometimes there is no explanation. If you did want to test the bearings, you will need to swap them, or get yourself a new set. If it's working fine, I would leave it alone. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Hadge

Yes, i agree to leave it be. sometimes I make more work for myself for no real reason.
I did think of changing out the bearings, but I had enough of it at that time.

Thank you
Hadge

alantani

it's usually bearings or gears.  were the bearings smooth?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!