Better Shrimp Fly? The Eyes Have It!

Started by Gfish, November 29, 2016, 05:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

When kayak trolling, or jigging over reefs, or rock/lingcod fishing on the Pac. Coast, I try'n attach a homemade shrimp fly up-line of the main lure.  I once had a double Barracuda hook-up, the little one onna big deep diver and the big'un on the fly. Sometimes in the process of gettin skunked on target species, with jigs er lures, I'll pick-up dinner meat such as small tuna like species(e.g., akule). The biggest deal for me on these flies are the doll eyes I glue on. I believe predatory fish may key in on them.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

David Hall

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

Bill B

Eye gotta get me some of those eyes..... ;D   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

steelfish

nice.. I have a bag with many eyes like those in many sizes I should do something similar

do you use the fly like that or you put a small cut of smelly bait?
The Baja Guy

Gfish

Them'er hobby store doll eyes that come ina 'bout 3 sizes, attached with super glue(I even glue em on spoons & jig heads). Just a personal thing, but I try to avoid bait, unless I know it "dramatically" ups my chances a gettin a quality fish, an it's avalible. Just somethin 'bout gettin em on a artificial...
Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Dominick

All in favor say eye... I know David you said it first.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Arrgh, Like a doll's eyes, don't seem to be livin'.

Life is Good!

ronluvs2fish

Quote from: Gfish on November 29, 2016, 05:01:38 AM
When kayak trolling, or jigging over reefs, or rock/lingcod fishing on the Pac. Coast, I try'n attach a homemade shrimp fly up-line of the main lure.  I once had a double Barracuda hook-up, the little one onna big deep diver and the big'un on the fly. Sometimes in the process of gettin skunked on target species, with jigs er lures, I'll pick-up dinner meat such as small tuna like species(e.g., akule). The biggest deal for me on these flies are the doll eyes I glue on. I believe predatory fish may key in on them.
Gfish
surf fishing on the east coast for Striped bass, a lot of people throw Bomber Long A's with a fly up 12-16 inches above the main lure(fake fish). i have hooked a lot of fish on just the fly and i believe it is a predatory thing where the live fish will eat the fly before the "fake fish" has a chance to. kinda like a survival of the fittest. The eyes are a main thing for a fish to aim for because they know thats where the head is to swallow the fish down without getting a spine stuck in their throat.

kmstorm64

Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

gstours

Does the super glue work ok?  Maybe several coats following the stick on?  Thanks for sharing.💁‍♂️

Dominick

Hey Butt Man you made something like these with eyes.  I remember them from another thread.  Bring them down with you in Dec.  Dominick