Penn's New Battle

Started by Gman_WC, April 05, 2011, 10:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gman_WC

Has anyone tried or taken the new Battle for a test drive?
I question the max drag that's listed and wanting to hear
a review. I went looking and wanted to fondle one at Bay Tackel over the weekend,
but there still waiting on the big mega marts to get there fill first.
I'm curious and thinking about picking up a 4k or 5k for throwing
hair raisers and lures for local stripers in the bay and delta.
Model     Mono      Braid     Gear      Bearings   MaxDrag   Weight
  BTL4000 230/10 - 275/20 - 6.6.1   -  6+1            13#           12.6oz

BTL5000 220/15 - 305/30 - 5.6.1   -  6+1            20#           20.3oz

Walnut Creek, CA

Roger

I have heard a little bit about them on another forum, though not much. I was considering the 7000 for a light popping set up for over here the GOM. Now Shimano just came out with their Saragosa 10000F I maybe changing my mind. The 10000 would be right down my alley, even though the price is about double, I do like Shimano spinners.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

BucYouUp68

I am Buying a 7000 on Thursday, i will be using it for Tarpon.  We will see how she holds up to a 150 pound Tarpon. ;D

Alto Mare

Will you be cracking it open and alan-izing it or use it straight out of the box?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BucYouUp68

I will Open it, does he have a Tutorial on these?

Alto Mare

I don't think so, that is one of the reason why I asked if you were going to open it, the other reason is that I would like to see what the reel looks like on the inside, I'm hearing good things about it, but I haven't been impressed by Penn's newer models. I have a bunch of Penn SS models that I use exclusively ( not SSM) and I haven't seen anything come close to them as in dependability and value for the money. Let us know what you think about the battle after you take it for a test drive. Thanks! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BucYouUp68

i have already Test Drove the Reel, It is nice.  Not sure how it will hold up on the long term, we will see.  Maybe we can (Hint-Hint) get Alan to do a tear down.  The reels are already getting hard to find, people are scooping them up quick.

Dominick

Hey you guys, you cannot say hint-hint to Alan.  He's gone on record that he is giving Spinning Reels a wide berth.  Too many parts, too many changes, too many models.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BucYouUp68

Alan May Do this For Me, Come on man.  The Tarpon are Calling Your name ;D

alantani

i took a quick look at the schematics.  the reel is almost embarassingly simple.  the first thing i would do is pull the drag washers and grease them.  after that, it's all about the bearings.  for now, just grease the drags.  we can get the rest of it later.  still swamped! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I also just looked at the schematics on the battle, nice reel it reminds me a lot  of my favorite reel the SS serie, this one has 3 additional bearings. I agree with Alan, it's about the bearings. I like the beefed up bail wire, but I'm not too crazy about the 3 retaining screws on the spacer at the spool assembly part # 51A, one of my reels (not a Penn) has the same design , I remember that I had to drill two of the screws out to get to the drags, in my opinion that design doesn't make any sense, who ever buys this reel better pack it with grease at that area. I was almost tempted to buy one until I noticed that it had one thing missing that I was hoping for...USA. I would still like to know how it holds up with saltwater usage :-\, Sal

BucYouUp68

Can someone post up the schematics for the Battle

Alto Mare

Sorry, this is the only way I'm able to do it. Google  PENN BTL6000 REEL SPECS and then click on ordering parts below and the schematic will come up:

BucYouUp68

Gman_WC

After 20 years of not buying a spinner in anything larger than a 6# trout outfit,
I threw in the towel lastnight and ordered a 5000. I'm going to take one for a test drive
and post reviews and pic's when I get time.
At this price and free shipping what's not to lose?
http://cgi.ebay.com/PENN-BATTLE-BTL5000-Fishing-Spinning-Reel-FREE-SHIPPING-/350454014976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198afe400
-gary
Walnut Creek, CA