Nostalgic Finessa 331s

Started by basto, December 02, 2016, 04:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

My 331 arrived and bought back some old memories of my 220 from the eighties.
First job is to wind some tape on the spool to build a convex section in the centre to counter the concave line wrap. This works.
Second job will be to hone and lap the stamped metal drag washers and replace the non metal ones with carbontex.

I have read on occasion that you can`t have a drag with an even number of non metal washers. Well DAM have, and it works.
That is all there is to do to make this a thoroughly enjoyable reel. The reel does wobble slightly when wound, but you have to accept some behaviours from a vintage reel.
I was delighted to get a Finessa with the tapered rod handle, which I think looks better than the U section chromed ones that my 2 previous DAM reels had.
Just my personal preference.
Back to the bench.
cheers
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Bryan Young

Those are just beautiful reels.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Those are tough reels, Greg --

The cranks are a little longer on these compared to the 330 -- same with the 220 and 221.

And DAM used the nicer aluminum tapered cranks.

That indeed looks like a good one.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Quote from: foakes on December 02, 2016, 05:23:02 AM
Those are tough reels, Greg --

The cranks are a little longer on these compared to the 330 -- same with the 220 and 221.

And DAM used the nicer aluminum tapered cranks.

That indeed looks like a good one.

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred
Yes it is a good one. I was lucky. Just realised you can`t see the handle in the pic I posted. I changed it to the other side of the reel. I feel a bit kaky handed winding with my left hand.
All my spinners are right hand wind.
cheers
Greg

foakes

Extremely nice reel, Greg...

One thing that can be done with this reel -- that few people know about -- is to get a metal spool from an older 280 or 285 Finessa in place of the plastic one -- it is a straight across snap-on switch over.

May not be needed, depending on your application --

Good job!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: basto on December 02, 2016, 07:21:20 AM
I feel a bit kaky-handed winding with my left hand.

That's funny, I can't reel a spinner with my right hand! I must not have the ambidextrous gene, or something.   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

basto

Hi Aiala
Yes, very curious, but I find most people I know here in Australia wind a spinner with their right hand, but on the other side of the planet it is their left hand.
I wind my conventionals with my right too.
cheers
Greg

basto

Quote from: foakes on December 02, 2016, 05:38:23 PM
Extremely nice reel, Greg...

One thing that can be done with this reel -- that few people know about -- is to get a metal spool from an older 280 or 285 Finessa in place of the plastic one -- it is a straight across snap-on switch over.

May not be needed, depending on your application --

Good job!

Best,

Thanks Fred
Good to know. I will keep an eye out.
Greg
Fred

Donnyboat

Yes I could manage, left hand, but prefer right hand, like most Aussies, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

Do Australians mount spinning reels at the bottom of the rod like you do conventional reels?

basto

Quote from: oc1 on December 03, 2016, 08:35:54 AM
Do Australians mount spinning reels at the bottom of the rod like you do conventional reels?

Hi oc1
Yes we do mount our spinners under the rod, just as you do. The only conventionals we mount under the rod are Alveys.
To cast an Alvey, you press a lever at the top of the reel and rotate the reel 45 degrees to the left. This allows the line to come off the spool the same way it comes off a spin reel when casting.
After you have made your cast, you then turn the reel back 45 degrees to the right so you can retrieve line like any other revolving drum reel., i.e. a fly casting trout reel.

Basto

oc1

No, I mean mounting the reel near the butt of the rod and thumbing it with the left hand when casting.  The right hand is up higher on the rod (toward the tip) while casting.  It was discussed here before using conventional revolving spool reels.
-steve

mhc

Hi Steve, I haven't seen too many low mounted reels here - I think you might be thinking of another 'down under' place, South Africa. It was discussed in this post:  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16186.60
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

oc1

mhc

Quote from: oc1 on December 04, 2016, 09:38:12 PM
I'm so embarrassed.
-steve

HaHa - you shouldn't be, that thread was nearly 12 months ago!... In a far away land.  :) :)
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.