Is a Phenix Abyss PSX809 20-50lb rod good for the central California coast?

Started by pjstevko, December 07, 2016, 04:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Big Tim

PJ I have an Abyss 809 in my hands right now that was only used on the June SOA charter. I can bring it New Years if you want to check it out. I would make you more than a fair deal on it.

BT

pjstevko

Quote from: Big Tim on December 18, 2016, 07:41:03 PM
PJ I have an Abyss 809 in my hands right now that was only used on the June SOA charter. I can bring it New Years if you want to check it out. I would make you more than a fair deal on it.

BT

Sure I'll check it out.....

Why are you thinking of getting rid of it?

Big Tim

Quote from: pjstevko on December 18, 2016, 08:04:07 PM
Quote from: Big Tim on December 18, 2016, 07:41:03 PM

BT

I want to get another Tsunami Air Wave Elite 7' 20-65 rod. It's more versatile in my opinion. I have caught big lings! and yellowtail with it an I just like a 7 footer for my style of fishing. The TSAWEBC-701MHJ is on sale on Amazon for $125.00 shipped. That's a good deal on a good rod. (poor mans Phenix).

Tim

otghoyt

I have found rods that offer a wide range of  line weights don't do anything really well.  The compromise necessary for that range of line class is just too much for today's materials.  I thought a 15-80 would be the Holy Grail but in reality you may have a decent 20-50 if you're lucky.  Unless there is a revolution in new rod materials I try to stay closer to what the reel is capable of in performance.

My heaver rods are called "Lifter Rods" and that's what they do.  They do not cast well so I don't use them to cast except in case of  a frantic bite.  For this heaver equipment I use a full spool of braid and wind on leaders for free-spool fishing.  Depending on how finicky the fish are I can swap out fluorocarbon, wind on leaders as necessary.  May be a consideration. 

My Jigmasters are are the biggest headache.  With the quick change spool you can change out line class in a minute.  My 500s are full of the finest drag stacks and stainless hi speed gearing that can be bought.  The Jigmaster will handle between 25# and 50# line class just by changing to different spools of line!!   Yo-Yo fishing and surface lure casting to live bait and bottom fishing.  A quality 8-9 foot long, 20-50 should work well but still not without some compromise.

I only buy 4oz. and 6oz. jigs along with my surface irons.  Try casting all three, back to back on the same rod/reel and see what you get.  The rod timing changes all over the place.  It loads and unloads differently with each different weight you toss.  You're asking for a backlash with old Penn Conventional reels even it they have been magged!  My recommendation....match the rod to the reel and the kind of fishing you're doing and take 3.

If you're still not convinced I have a 6 foot,15-50 Fenwick, Pacific Stick, E-Glass I'd love to sell you for 50 bucks

Hoyt

pjstevko

[/quote]

[/quote]

Tim don't bother bringing the rod,  I don't need another rod as the ones I have work just fine. Plus the extra $$ I thought I had coming had to go to more important items. I only ever seem to get to go fishing once a year so no need for more than 2 set ups....

otghoyt

I caught a 32 pound Yellowtail on that rod two months ago and it really sucked.... Old Fenwicks are highly sought after by some and I grabbed it the instant it came available.  I fished it within the the rod's line rating and it was entirely too floppy and  killed my back out in an 8 minute fight.  Simply too wide a span in workable line weights.  Does not do anything well!!!!

I have a an old Cal Star BT-270 rated at 12#-30# with a pumped up Squidder on it that did a better job than the Fenwick with my favorite Penn 505 on it.  That Squidder caught a 22 pounder on that same trip and It didn't bother my back one bit.  In fact I fished that rod all day long with a spool change for lighter line.  I was up front casting my 4oz. mega baits, surface jigs and at the rail with bait.  

For all watching....CharkBait is selling off all their Cal Stars to bring in Cousins rods to replace that line.  Go steal yourself one at 35% off retail...HURRY~

HoHoHoyt

SantaBarbarian

Quote from: pjstevko on December 19, 2016, 04:16:21 AM

[/quote]

Tim don't bother bringing the rod,  I don't need another rod as the ones I have work just fine. Plus the extra $$ I thought I had coming had to go to more important items. I only ever seem to get to go fishing once a year so no need for more than 2 set ups....
[/quote]

Even though you're not in the market right now for another rod , you really owe it to yourself to go to a FHS. That's a pretty good offer to make the run to Long Beach for the show, think about it, the future is bright   :)