Freshwater rod and reel combo?

Started by broadway, December 08, 2016, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Yeah, he fishes with a 6 and 6.5' rod so somewhere between 6-7'.  What do you guys think about the penn battle 1000 with the lamiglas x-11 7' ultralight?
Will this be a good match?
Thanks
Dom

foakes

IMHO, Dom --

At the expert level of most of the individuals on this site -- anything we think is extrordinary will not be appreciated by the average fisherman -- who is likely knowledgeable -- but are not Penn Nerds like us.

So get him something new -- decent on sale -- and call it a day.

Knowing full well that you will be asked to work on it at sometime a few years down the road.

Few appreciate our passion -- and should not be subjected to our weirdness.

Last week, I was putting together 3 fresh water set-ups for a friend of mine and his two sons.  He said he knows a lot about reels -- so when I asked him what he preferred -- he said something in RED.

So I am giving him (3) rods and reels as a gift -- with the requirement that he accompanies his two sons to my shop (10 & 13 YO) to pick out their own setups -- and we will take about 30 minutes to show them how the reels operate, and how to properly care and lube the reels for maximum operation and pre-service by using the screwdrivers in their own hands.

Perhaps they will have a little more appreciation for the mechanics of a reel -- and learn something that may last their lifetimes -- and they can pass it forward to their kids.

If we try -- we may be successful half the time -- in imparting new knowledge and skills.

If we do not try -- the knowledge failure rate is near 100%.

Just my opinions.

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

That selection will be just fine Dom...and I agree with Fred...I've never received a rod&reel as a gift that I wasn't pleased with. Sometimes I even end up adoring something I walked past a hundred times and never stopped to appreciate. No such thing as a bad gift. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Any reel under $50 to me would be considered disposable, not worth fixing.
He could get a 716Z, or maybe a 420 or 430ss for around that amount.  he could then hand it over to his kid when  done with it.
Just my 2 cents.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 08, 2016, 10:12:54 PM
Any reel under $50 to me...not worth fixing.
X2 and i am sure Dom will help when it's time to do a pre-use and preventive maintenance...;) :)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: broadway on December 08, 2016, 08:15:32 PM
What do you guys think about the penn battle 1000 with the lamiglas x-11 7' ultralight?
hard to say if they match without putting the reel on the rod unless somebody has the combo here. if the reel is much much heavier than the rod most likely it's a good match. my 2 cents!

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 08, 2016, 10:12:54 PM
Any reel under $50 to me would be considered disposable, not worth fixing.
He could get a 716Z, or maybe a 420 or 430ss for around that amount.  he could then hand it over to his kid when  done with it.
Just my 2 cents.

Sal

You are absolutely right, Sal.

The problem I have, is that not knowing the folks involved -- besides Dom -- generally the reels and rods we know are long lasting and durable -- are not appreciated by the recipient.

So if that is the case -- get a Penn combo on sale -- or if you really know they would use, take care of, and value a 716 or a 420 -- that would be appropriate.

Just hate to see a 716 on a rod, hung in a garage -- not appreciated or valued -- just because they do not know how good it is.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: foakes on December 08, 2016, 08:38:44 PM

Few appreciate our passion -- and should not be subjected to our weirdness.

Uh oh, I think I may be overselling my hobby to my spouse.

Tunanorth

Plenty of great responses already, I can only add that I prefer a Battle II 2000 size reel for 6-pound, and use the 1000 size for 4-pound and 2-pound [mono line, but the 1000 easily handles even 10-pound braid].
I generally go with Fenwicks for FW use, and as a long-rod [surface iron] aficionado, I look for the steelhead-style 8-9 footers, even for non-steelhead applications, but if you are bank-walking on brushy streams, as short as 5 1/2 to 6 feet may be more practical.
As with any rod, decide what line test you will use most often, that number should be as close as possible to the "middle" of the chosen rod's rating.
As mentioned, this is pretty flexible and low-key gear selection compared to the extreme specificity needed for tuna and other SW whoppers. 

broadway

Man,  you guys are the best!
Fred,  I like your style and can appreciate everything your saying. That story of your friend who likes "red" reels reminds me when I bet on horses in my early 20's and went by the color combo of the jockey to pick the winner.  Needless to say, I'm not picking horses any more. ::)
Mel, Yes, I will do the AT pre-checklist and wind up taking care of it I'm sure, which was why I posted this in the Penn section.  I don't work on spinning reels other than the pre checklist, but I know a few good men for the job;)
TunaNorth,  I think I'm going for the battle 2000 because he likes using 6lb mono and I like Penn.  He doesn't need much line for what he does (surf casting off a lake or pond bank with his kids and an occasionally trip for bass and pike (5 lbs and less) with his friends.
Sal, my wife wants met get him a "nice" set up, so that's the route I have to take, but a $40 disposable was my first thought too. ;)
Mo, Thanks for all your help and all the other members who came to the rescue as my salty butt knows nothing about the sweet stuff.
Stay fishy and I'll let ya know what I decide on for sure.
Dom

Keta

Steve is right on the 2000 and mono, my 1000s are filled with 10# Spectra.  30# on the Battle II and Clash 4000s.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tunanorth

Not precisely applicable to this thread, but BASS just made 10 foot rods legal for tournament use [former limit was 8 feet], so word about the advantages of long rods even for FW bass fishing is getting out there.

oc1

I sort of agree with Sal.  The only small Penn reel worth having are the older 716's.  Maybe an SS, but the greenie and Z series can't be beat.

Thanks philaroman.  I have been wanting to try a long noodle but was not willing to risk the usual price.  A 10.5 foot graphite noodle for $20.65 including shipping on a slow boat from Indonesia was too much to resist.
-steve

theswimmer

Fenwick Eagle from Dick's sporting goods .
I have the 7 foot in medium, love it.
$59-$69 free shipping😎
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

philaroman

Quote from: oc1 on December 09, 2016, 07:05:10 AM
I sort of agree with Sal.  The only small Penn reel worth having are the older 716's.  Maybe an SS, but the greenie and Z series can't be beat.

Thanks philaroman.  I have been wanting to try a long noodle but was not willing to risk the usual price.  A 10.5 foot graphite noodle for $20.65 including shipping on a slow boat from Indonesia was too much to resist.
-steve

are you serious -- the S/H is FREE?  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know how it works out, as soon as it arrives!!!  I heard good things about this rod years ago when it was called Endurance @ $90 (now it's ProCast) -- not quite as good as St. Croix Wild River, but now that it's 90% cheaper than Croix, who could pass it up???  I especially like the 2-10# line rating, instead of the common 2-6# Noodle, which suggests a little backbone...  I just have too many L/UL rods in the 8'6"-12' ballpark, so couldn't justify buying another even for $50 & missed the $35 FishUSA final blow-out  :'(

GENERAL ADVICE: if it's really windy or there are low overhanging branches, LEAVE THE NOODLE AT HOME -- it ain't worth the aggravation