Newest Addition To The Shop

Started by foakes, December 08, 2016, 11:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I have a Dremel that is used many times a day.

Also have a couple of 6" larger grinders I use for tools and metal working. 

Picked up this 3" mini grinder from Harbor Freight yesterday.

I thought it might work pretty well for small parts on older reels that need a little cleaning or "technical" adjustment.

Also thought I might need a special mount, or bolt in place, or it would make a lot of noise and vibration --

Wrong on all counts -- rubber feet pads, variable speed to 10K RPM, almost silent, and no vibration. 

Not a cheap lightweight either -- weighs 6.5 lbs without the flex shaft.  HD cording. 

Plus with the 3" wheels -- brass wheels are affordable on Amazon.

$54.99 regular price --

On sale for $37.95 --

Brought in a 25% off coupon --

Net price out the door was $30.83, including tax and of course a free led flashlight with another coupon.

And the positoning is out of the way, safe for sleeves, on my right -- but quickly accessible and useful.

It seems like a good addition, compact -- plus looks professional on the bench.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Looks good Fred. I've checked that out a few times at HF and its a better deal than the Dremel.
My Dremel is on its way out as it starts getting pretty hot a high rpm's.
Might be a good one for putting on the Xmas list.

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

gstours

Thanks for checking it out for us bashfull types!  ;)  I wanted to see more on them before I spent as much as a case of beer on a tool! ???
     Show us what its good for and how you like it!

mizmo67

I think we have the next size up from that attached to the end of our bench at home.

Great $ you got on that!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

oc1

I use a 35 year old Foredom.  The motor is going out now but the two hand pieces, foot controlled rheostat, shaft and sleeve were replaced a decade or so ago.  Debating on whether to replace the Foredom motor or chunk it all and get one like Fred's.  
-steve

foakes

I have a couple of larger grinders -- a 20 year old Craftsman & a 15 year old Chicago Machinery from HF.

One is hard mounted on a bench, and the other is on a cast stand.

These are kept in my outside shop -- and although no big deal to take a 50 yard hike -- sometimes it is snowing, cold, dark, etc..  i am not a weenie -- but it sure is convenient when touching up or grinding down a part for fit -- to just stay on the stool -- touch it up -- then continue the job.  A minute compared to 10.

The Dremel works very well, and it is a Sears Craftsmen probably built by Dremel -- but this little grinder so far is amazing.

When we spend $30 for a movie, popcorn, and a couple of sodas -- this is a good value.

Like the old ZZ Top song -- even a fool can look cool -- with cheap sunglasses.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

exp2000

Quote from: oc1 on December 11, 2016, 08:25:36 AM
I use a 35 year old Foredom.  The motor is going out now but the two hand pieces, foot controlled rheostat, shaft and sleeve were replaced a decade or so ago.  Debating on whether to replace the Foredom motor or chunk it all and get one like Fred's.  
-steve

Yes, I have one of these albeit not so sophisticated as yours by the sounds of it.

I have modified it somewhat with aftermarket buffing wheels.

They are expensive little tools designed for the jewellery trade.
~

oc1

I tore my Foredom down today.  The problem is the top bearing.  I switched the top and bottom bearings and it works better now but probably won't last for long.  Just heard back from Foredom that they still carry parts for the older models.  

Exp, you and Fred have bench grinders/buffers.  It would be really nice to have one of those too; hence the beauty of Fred's machine.  Sometimes it is better to have a flex shaft so you can see exactly what you're doing.  Sometimes it is better to have a bench model so you can hold the piece with two hands as it is rotated and manipulated.

BTW, there is a little one inch disk-shaped fiber bush you can put in a flex shaft or dremel tool.  It works really well for getting the grunge out of corners and crevices without marring the bakelite or finish when cleaning reels.  A piece of cotton rag wound on a 3/32" mandrel is good for polishing inside the hole of brass bearings.
-steve