. HOW TO : How To Hook Live Bait Fish . . . NEWBIES & GURU's !!!

Started by ez2cdave, December 09, 2016, 04:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

HOW TO : How To Hook Live Bait Fish . . . NEWBIES & GURU's !!!

http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/how-to-hook-live-bait

A downloadable PDF file is at the bottom of this post.

Tight Lines !

otownjoe

ez2cdave

Quote from: otownjoe on December 09, 2016, 05:15:17 PM
I just learned something new.thanks for posting this. Joe

You're welcome, Joe . . .

Tight Lines !

wallacewt

good stuff dave cheers

ps i have a request dave
would you be kind enough and find the system of using a dacron loop in the eye socket in front of the eye.
excellent for tuna,hook does not penetrate the flesh,bait stays alive a lot longer(thats no bloody good is it ::)just joking)
thank you

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

ez2cdave

Quote from: wallacewt on December 09, 2016, 10:39:20 PM
good stuff dave cheers

ps i have a request dave
would you be kind enough and find the system of using a dacron loop in the eye socket in front of the eye.
excellent for tuna,hook does not penetrate the flesh,bait stays alive a lot longer(thats no bloody good is it ::)just joking)
thank you

Tight Lines !

wallacewt

SoCalAngler

Don't forget about collar hooking.

There is also another method I use in Baja, mostly with larger baits like mackerel where I run the hook into the baits open mouth and the hook is pushed thru the top or roof of the mouth. This seems to work well when slow trolling live baits and the bait seems to stay alive longer than nose or in this article what is shown as nostril hooking.

FatTuna

I bridle all my baits exactly like the guy does it in the second video. I use the small black elastics. They look like women's hair elastics. If you find that they are breaking off, you can use two. 

I almost never hook a bait. When you bridle, the bait will stay alive all day. It's a lot less invasive. A thick gauge hook through a small baitfish can kill it. Sometimes we fish for 10 hours straight with the same two baits. Also, when using a circle hook, you get a better hookset. I like to attach the hook through the bait's back because we mark most fish below. They rocket up towards the bait.

When rigging large baits, say big bluefish, 15lb cod, the 50lb rigging floss works well. It's a two man operation. One guy holds the fish, the other ties the floss. That 50lb shouldn't ever break off.

I don't like to bridle though the eyes. I feel it can give the bait a lobotomy. They start swimming in erratic circles, doesn't look very natural.

ez2cdave

Quote from: SoCalAngler on December 11, 2016, 12:54:26 AM
Don't forget about collar hooking.

There is also another method I use in Baja, mostly with larger baits like mackerel where I run the hook into the baits open mouth and the hook is pushed thru the top or roof of the mouth. This seems to work well when slow trolling live baits and the bait seems to stay alive longer than nose or in this article what is shown as nostril hooking.

Great additional information . . .

Tight Lines !

wallacewt

in the 1st video the dacron is to short
the circle hook should be 1" in front of the nose of the live bait(oz way)

ezedave could you pls swab this over to pdf file thanks
its youtube/al mcglashon bridal live bait rigging

ez2cdave

Quote from: wallacewt on December 11, 2016, 09:58:04 PM
in the 1st video the dacron is to short
the circle hook should be 1" in front of the nose of the live bait(oz way)

ezedave could you pls swab this over to pdf file thanks
its youtube/al mcglashon bridal live bait rigging

I only do PDF's from a "printed" page, not video's . . . However, here's the YouTube link !

Tight Lines !

Dominick

Why use a bridle?  Why not just pass the hook through?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

otownjoe

Quote from: Dominick on December 14, 2016, 05:33:44 AM
Why use a bridle?  Why not just pass the hook through?  Dominick
the bridle will help keep the bait alive longer, allow the bait to swim more natural and let you get better hooksets because the bait is not in way.
I hope to try the belly hook this weekend if the weather will let me get offshore. I've never seen anyone go in the belly and come back out when bottom fishing.If this does make the bait attract more attention this could be a great way to get bit when you can see the fish on the bottom machine but aren't getting bites. I need all the help I can get when it comes to grouper fishing. Joe

wallacewt

igfa & fisheries both frown on the practice of 3 turn uni knot breaking at boat side
all circle hooks dont always hook the jaw hinge
thats one of the reasons they gave
thanks once again dave,video is nice and clear
cheers