Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akroper, mike1010, jtwill98, mww, Gobi King and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Benni3

Welcome from salem Virginia,,,,,,, ;D

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Guys and welcome from the UK :)

Compai

Hello Alan and all members,

I'm glad I joined, should have done it a while ago.

My fishing buddies call me "Compai" short for compadre (which is buddy, friend, or in other case as representative of godparents)

I found your site a while back looking for information on reel repairs and maintenance. With the abundance of information and tutorials here I was amazed on how easy all of you have made it for me to start repairing, servicing, and upgrading my reels. I have saved hundreds if not a thousand dollars doing it myself, and I'm good at it, reading blue prints "the schematics" and following instructions, which is a trait I learned from my dad when he taught me construction as a kid. You guys don't know me, but I have learned a lot here from you, now my fishing buddies trust me to service their reels. Thank you.

I was born in Bronx, NY and raised in Ponce, Puerto Rico, I picked up fishing one day when I was 5 years old from a old timer who was fishing in the Cerillos River near my home. From a distance I watched as the old timer placed bait (shrimp tail) on a home made hook (clothes hanger wire twisted into a letter J shape and tip sharpen with a steel filer) tied with nylon sewing string. When the old timer left I immediately checked the spot where the old timer was fishing and found some left over string and a hook with a small screw nut attached to the line as the sinker, maybe he saw me and left the hook and line for me to experiment, which I did. I noticed the shrimp shells on the fishing spot, so I went on shallow waters to find shrimp underneath the rocks and used as bait. I caught 2 Largemouth Bass (Lobina), 2 Bluegill Sunfish (Chopa) and 1 Redear Sunfish (Chopa). It was instant love and I've been fishing ever since. 45 years later, I live in Bronx, NY and fish in all of Long Island Sound, Atlantic Ocean out of Long Island, Rhode Island Sound, Block Island, and Massachusett waters, in this order my favorite fish is Striped Bass, Tautog, Black Seabass, Atlantic Cod, and Tuna. I own about 16 reels, 6 Newells (440-3.6, P440.F, Blackie 338-M, Blackie 235M, S338-5, S229-5) , 2 Shimano Trinidad TN16 & TN20, 6 Shimano Torium 4-20s & 2-30s, 2 Penn (1 Senator 4/0 and 501 Jigmaster). I own over 70 fishing rods, most of them are very old over 50 years, my favorites are the fiberglass conventional rods with the wood handles, a piece of art, without me knowing I became a collector. 
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Dominick

Glad to have you on board.  Dominick, former New Yorker, now in San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Sharkb8

Welcome Compai from South Australia Kim

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Welcome aboard, Compai!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

AC49

Welcome Compai from Cape Town South Africa

Regards
AC49

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Welcome from salem Virginia,,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Welcome Compai from the SoCal Inland Empire!  Thanks for sharing your story!

Compai

Thank you all greatly appreciated!
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Donnyboat

Hi Compia, looks like you have a nice collection of rods & reels, welcome from Sunny Western Australia, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

happyhooker

Greetings, Compai, from Minnesota (born in Brooklyn).

Frank

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!