Main Menu

first post

Started by alantani, December 04, 2008, 06:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batomba, Brewcrafter, Benni3, OhReely, Taily, Hardy Boy, nanz, hrgriz, Milan S, circlehook and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

DrGrouper

Quote from: thorhammer on October 13, 2020, 03:14:07 PM
Welcome, Scott! Where are you located on the grouper?

Wilmington NC
Originally from NJ
Fished the Jersey Canyons for years then relocation through work brought me here in 2005.

My first summer here I find myself catching Mahi within site of the beach (I'm going to like it here) 15 years later... I never bottom fished really until I moved. So, learning the anchoring and what to anchor on was the challenge. Well, I figured it out and now all I do is chase Gag, Red and Scamp grouper. They're big and mean here.

Dominick

Welcome new members.  Dominick San Mateo, CA
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

DrGrouper

Quote from: Donnyboat on October 12, 2020, 11:31:10 AM
Thanks Scott & welcome from Sunny Western Australia, tell us more about your reels & do you fish fresh water or salt, from land or boat, cheers Don.

Thanks sir.
Reels...
I just finished putting back together a Diawa Sealine 600H... I'm going to try it on wahoo here soon. Drag upgrade, I can instantly tell the difference.

2 Shimano Stradic 8000 FI
I'm reconditioning one, can't find a drive gear anywhere to save my life. Thoughts?
2 early 70's Penn International 30T's. Trying to figure out the drags. Can't seem to get the exact info on what I need to purchase. If I can find a drag washer, then that will do. They're serviceable, but one has smooth drag the other you can feel it skipping a bit.
4 penn 45GLS  I burned them up on grouper and made 2 working reels out of the 4.
Different pinions and gears on different model years, did a bit of dremmel work on the housing to get it right.

A Penn 30TW International  great shape, love it

TLD 25. good shape, it handles wahoo with a bit of boatsmanship lol

I've got a bunch of diawa, shimano and God knows what else in spinning reels.

3 Penn 320 GTI level winds. Older but still smooth. Won't win a beauty contest, but they're solid.

I sold most of my larger offshore gear. I had 4 50 SW's 2 80 TW's and a few 30's.  They were awesome. They got smoked for years on Bigeye, Mako, YFT etc etc. Never failed us. Just service and drags here and there.

Currently I'm running a Regulator 24FS.  Love getting her bloody.

thorhammer

Well damn son, we prolly saw each other. I lived in Wilmy from 2004-2011, and still fish out of WB and CB. South of Raleigh now but still get back several times a year, in non-covid life. Dockside might be my favorite happy hour spot.

old 1946

Hello All
New old guy here been surfing this site for really good information
for a long while figured its time to join the party.
Believe none of what you hear
half of what you read
and all of what you see.

kjdunne

Hey 1946, welcome aboard!  Always room for one more here...

Kal in S Jersey

Donnyboat

Hi DRgrouper & mr Old, welcome from Western Australia, cheers Don, also 46 vintage.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

Hey Old 1946 - call me Chris 1949 ;D - UK based.

happyhooker

Greetings, '46, from Minnesota.

Frank

bhale1

Well heck yah, surf a while, lots of good info.....But so glad you joined ;D
Thanks for joining...
Brett,from So. AZ

Bill B

Welcome to all the new members....Bill, SoCal
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Bobber21

Greetings to all from Ft Lauderdale! (87*F,partly cloudy,wind S @17) Recently retired,been here for 35 years. If it's wet,I fish it,fresh or salt,12" to 1200'

Most of my time on the water I now spend in the 'glades from Marco down to Flamingo, mangrove fever is incurable. I get the shakes if it's too long between trips.

This site has been an invaluable resource to me over the years,not only in repair but also for purchasing reels. I hope I can contribute back to the community a fraction of what you guys have given me.

Brewcrafter

Welcome Dr. Grouper and Old 1946 from the SoCal Inland Empire! - john

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!