500/501 jigmaster

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DolemiteSF0 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

alantani

beautiful reel.  i don't know about being a collector's item just yet, but it certainly will be someday!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Panama

Only 50 Euro!?!?!?!?!?!?! (About $50)  You should buy that reel.  I have a few of them, both converted 505 and original 506 that I fish.  They go for about 60 in used condition around here and are hard to come by. 
Anthony
Get on the water, Man!!!

Irish Jigger

It's £50 ($82) I am seriously thinking of making an bid.Am looking at a brand new 501 for £40 ($66) with the lower 4:1 gearing which I would actually use in the  boat. Don't know if I could keep a good reel on the shelf and not fish with it. ;)

Norcal Pescador

I would like love to get my hands on a new-in-the-box 506 for $82USD! :o :o
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

I have settled for the new 501.  I can place bid on the 506 for you norcal if you wish. Don't know what the shipping charge would be from the UK to you. Check it out, auction finishes soon and I am fishing tomorrow (Sunday.)

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Irish Jigger on August 20, 2011, 09:00:08 PM
I have settled for the new 501.  I can place bid on the 506 for you norcal if you wish. Don't know what the shipping charge would be from the UK to you. Check it out, auction finishes soon and I am fishing tomorrow (Sunday.)

From what I can get from UPS is that shipping cost would be prohibitive (150+ euros). All I can get are rates for express service - their site is so bloody unfriendly. >:(

Thank you for the offer, but I better pass on this one. :)
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Irish Jigger

Sorry about that Rob. I have had reels off ebay shipped from the US to UK for about $25, don't know what the cost is the other way. I will let you know if I ever come across another new 506.

fishny

Ok, i've got one for you guys... I've searched (everywhere!) but I can't seem to find the answer...

I've got at least one or two jigmasters that I would LOVE to changes out the thumb screw.  At least one has lost the spring etc...

I see that on pennparts, you can order the screw assembly, but when you look at the picture, it looks different compared to the older red plated jigmasters. 

Does anyone know how hard/easy this is, and if I can use the new thumbscrew assembly with an older jigmaster?? Any help is really appreciated!!

alantani

it's ver simple.  go ahead and order up all the parts.  it will screw together easily.  alan

redsetta

G'day fishny,
I've replaced several (on both old and new versions) and had no problems - they're all interchangeable.
The collar that holds the spring in place simply screws off, so you may chose to just replace the spring (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/131-200.aspx) and collar (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/132-200.aspx).
Hope that helps, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

day0ne

I've got a couple of questions about Jigmasters. First of all, is there any other gearset that fits the 505/506 reels or am I stuck with the stock gears? I also read somewhere on this site about upgrading the drags to a 1+5 configuration but can't seem to find it now. I'm currently building a 506 (Tib frame, etc) to fit either a calstar 700L or a Seeker 970-7, once I decide which is the best fit.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

alantani

the 4:1 penn gear set works.  the pinion gear is a little loose, but it actually works just fine.  the newell 5:1 gear set is better, but it's very expensive.  i'd have to fiddle with the drag washers, but i'm certain a "1+5" drag configuration is possible.  it just would not add that much to the reel.  you would have to use the softer manganese/bronze alloy penn 5:1 main gear, that that gear tends to strip out at more than 10 pounds of drag anyway.  the only way to make it work would be a taller stainless steel main gear.  i'll bet that newell could make it.........

Doug

I  recently picked up a 501 jigmaster at a flea market  for $5.00. The reel has a red alum spool . Does anyone know what the significance of the red spool is ? Is it the same as the regular alum spool ? I ordered Alan's stainless steel gear sleve for it and was worried that I would have to spend more for a new spool which are hard to come by and expensive. I will be using 30 pound test mono on it for blue fish and stripped bass. Any help appreciated   Doug

Alto Mare

Hey Doug, you got yourself a heck of a deal. The red aluminum spool was introduced by Penn for their 50th anniversary, what you have there is rare, it was only in production for a couple of years, around 1982/83. If the spool is in good shape and you wanted to get rid of it, I can offer you $25 for it....I collect those. 30 pound mono is a good call, that's how my Jigmasters are set up. Fish that reel around 10 pounds and it will happy there. Good luck to you. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.