Penn Fierce uneven line lay

Started by Ryan_J, December 11, 2016, 07:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan_J

Gang - I have a Fierce 4000 spinning reel that has been a great reel(especially for the price) except that it is starting to stack the line more towards the top of the spool. There is only one thrust washer and I don't know where to find another to tune the spool a little higher. Any ideas?

alantani

i'm not much on spinners, but i do know that the spools can be shimmed to center the line.  a call to penn should be able to get you the washers you need. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

handi2

Ryan I could have sent you some with your other reel. I'll mail you some but its regular mail.

There is always a shim under the rotor on these reels. Its thick too for a shim. If the reel will work fine without that shim or a thinner one it will lower the rotor (and bail arm) and help wind the line lower on the spool.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Keith, I don't have a Fierce, but usually tall line tall shim, low line low shim on most of my spinners.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

What I was saying if he cant get a spool line lay washer fast enough to put on the spool shaft to raise the spool that reel has a thick brass shim under the spool on top of the pinion gear. If the reel will work properly without that brass shim taking it out will lower the rotor, hence lowering the bail arm.

Im sending him line lay washers in the slow mail...

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Oh, I get it Keith. By the way your stuff is headed your way at the same rate " slow mail ".

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ryan_J

Quote from: handi2 on December 12, 2016, 12:31:17 AM
Ryan I could have sent you some with your other reel. I'll mail you some but its regular mail.

There is always a shim under the rotor on these reels. Its thick too for a shim. If the reel will work fine without that shim or a thinner one it will lower the rotor (and bail arm) and help wind the line lower on the spool.

Keith

Keith - I received my Stradic today.  Thanks for putting her back togethe for me.  Smooth as buttah :)  I'll keep my eyes open for the described shim for the Penn Fierce.  Thanks for all your expertise!