One Tool Only -- A Contest -- No Prize -- Just Your Honest Opinions

Started by foakes, December 12, 2016, 05:19:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkT

Years ago we went to a YMCA camp with the Indian guides. One of the outlets in the cabin was sparking so we took it apart with a leatherman and rewired it. It's always in my travel bag with a Swiss Army knife for reinforcement.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Decker

Glad to see this thread come back to life.  I'd like to cast one vote for the Penn tool that used to come with each reel.  Sure, you would rather use a handful of other tools to service your reel, but in a pinch you could break down the whole reel with that cheap piece of stamped metal. 

To me, the best tool is the noggin stocked with plenty of imagination and resourcefulness.  The market wants to point us to some very specific product (with a very specific price), but necessity often demands otherwise. 

Those cheap plastic grocery bags that come from just about every store are quite useful for these two purposes:   One is for tying (lashing) just about anything.  I split the bags in half so that the two parts each have a handle.  Next I loop the handles together to make a length of plastic about 30"  long.   This is strong enough for lashing something to the roof rack of the car to get home.  When the purpose has been accomplished, they can be broken and thrown away.   

There are so many of those bag around, that I feel compelled to use them.  The second use is to hold sand for tying down our beach umbrella on windy days.  We have a "Sportbrella" with guy-lines on the side flaps.  I  fill a grocery bag with sand out to the side of the umbrella. and loop a guy-line to each bag.  The weight of the sand in the bag holds the umbrella down against the wind.  Haven't had one break yet.

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

tinboat

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

ReelFishingProblems

As a brand new lieutenant, I had a staff sergeant that told me anything could be fixed with a sledge hammer except radios, now that I'm into reels, I think he may have been wrong. Leatherman gets my vote

Donnyboat

that last one, Fred foakes put up French army knife, it looked like a heep of spair springs for reel drags, ha haa,, yes a good milti knife with a good blade & phillips screw drive also atached with a screw driver, cheers donnyboat.
Don, or donnyboat

RowdyW

One tool for a long trip....... how can a gun replace a radiator hose, a tailight bulb, tighten or loosen a screw or bolt, etc., etc. A gun would subsitute for a hammer though. Fred said one tool only. Some need to recount their answer.

Reel 224

Quote from: RowdyW on January 23, 2017, 02:20:10 PM
One tool for a long trip....... how can a gun replace a radiator hose, a tailight bulb, tighten or loosen a screw or bolt, etc., etc. A gun would subsitute for a hammer though. Fred said one tool only. Some need to recount their answer.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

conchydong

Perhaps the best "tool" is this, although it is not always used properly.

Reel 224

Quote from: conchydong on January 23, 2017, 02:52:48 PM

That's the best answer I've heard yet! Bravo. ;D

Joe

Lunker Larry

Quote from: conchydong on January 23, 2017, 02:52:48 PM

Had one of those once but lost it.  :D
Any sort of heavy duty multi tool.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Quote from: RowdyW on January 23, 2017, 02:20:10 PM

No way, one has feet..... safety and substenance before quick mobility