Shimano Biomaster SW 4000 Xg

Started by Redfish King, December 16, 2016, 12:44:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redfish King

Line is building up on spool uneven causing knots when i cast.Im not real comfortable taking this reel apart.So does anyone know if this is an easy fix or can anyone here fix it?
Thanks

FatTuna

You can try adjusting the spool shims if it's not laying even. If it's stacking at the top, add some shims. If it's stacking on the bottom, remove some. 

Wind knots are usually the result of an overfilled spool or the line not being packed on tight enough.

A simple way to repack the spool is to tie the end of the line to something, then walk off the entire spool and crank it back in under pressure.

Porthos

Was the line lay OK when the reel was first spooled? If so, then it's just the lack of tension on the tag end over time.

If you have a spare reel (conventional or spin) with an empty spool of equal or bigger capacity, retrieve the line over to it, and then retrieve it back, under pressure (8-10lb of drag) both ways. FatTuna's suggestion works but might be problematic if you've got 100-200yds of line, and you can't get somewhere where you can let that much line out unhindered.

Redfish King

Thanks for the help.I took the spool off to add shims and found the nut under there completely backed off.I tightened that up took line off put it back on and it went on straight!

philaroman

that nut should have a cover or screw that locks it in place (OR, reverse-threaded on some models)

otherwise, it'll just unscrew itself, again, from the momentum of the rotor