TLD, TLD2spd or Tyrnos 1 or 2spd Need help deciding??????

Started by BloodGroove4570, April 07, 2011, 10:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodGroove4570

Hello,
  Im in the market for a new reel for chunkin, deep drop bottom fishing and general stuff you would use a larger reel for. I have read alot of reviews on the models i have mentioned and just cant come up with which model to buy. I typically fish with Avets for my lighter type reels, I have SX, MXL, and LX models, 1 SX is 2spd and 1 LX is also 2 spd.
I kind of like the options with the 2spd model if the need arises.
So i guess im asking you for help on stronger reels of the bunch, I am considering either TLD 20 or 25, TLD 20, 30 or Tyrnos 20 or 30. What are strong points and weak points of these reels, I know this is getting long winded 'sorry' but I just cant decide. I mostly fish Cod, Striper, Blackfish,Fluke, and anything else i am lucky enough to go for. I want a bigger reel for when trips come up im not undergunned and scurrying to borrow a setup from someone. I believe i read somewhere that the tld20 fram is stronger than the 25 frame, is this correct? I just bwant the best reel that i can get out of this group.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Ray

BloodGroove4570

iI think i read sommewhere that the TLD20 frame is stronger than the TLD25 frame, can Someone confirm this for me please?????
Thanks
Ray

Roger

Personally, I'd get the tyrnos. It's sort of a TLD with an aluminum frame and some added features. Nice little reel but theres been some drag washer problems with the smaller ones, don't really know about the larger ones........
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

akfish

The TLD 20 is stronger than the 25 because it is smaller and there is less to torque under pressure. Still, I see lots of TLD 20s in the shop with fried gear from frame flex; these reels just cannot handle 80# braid and heavy drag. The two speed TLDs have a much stronger frame and can handle heavy drag. For bottom fishing I'd prefer the TLD20II to the Torium because the Torium has a high gear that is too high for fishing heavy weights in deep water.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

of the reels listed, i would go with the tld 20 two speed.  actually, i have!   my favorite medium weight trolling reel. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!