Microlite/ Microlite 265

Started by SilverRidge, December 20, 2016, 04:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

New to the terminology and nomenclature ( big words Huh ? ) of the two reels, what is the difference
In the makeup of the two if any ? Thanks

Paul

foakes

The Microlite and the 265 are the same reel --

265 is the official model number -- Microlite is the model name.

Since this was Dam Quick's first true Microlite reel (introduced around 1960) -- others followed...

110, 110N, 1000, 1001, 1002.

The 265 Microlite is one of my personal favorites for capable function and appearance.

A true and simple, engineering marvel -- comparable to other reels of the day in the "loose Microlite class" -- this reel would out perform any other reel in this class, at this time.  This was due to the overbuilt components built into a tiny size reel that fits in your palm.

Mitchell had the 308 size -- then Penn came along with the 716 a few years later -- ABU came along with the Cardinal 3 -- these were all high quality tiny spinners capable of a lot of fun -- but up to the task if a large fish was hooked -- the Quicks were of this era also.

Don't ask me what time it is -- or I may demonstrate how to build a watch!  Sorry for the long explain...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: foakes on December 20, 2016, 04:43:41 PM
Don't ask me what time it is -- or I may demonstrate how to build a watch!  Sorry for the long explain...

Ha ha! Good one Fred! I love your long explanations...nothing worse than an answer that leaves one scratching his head...and with more questions than he started with.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Right, Mike --

However, there is a place for brief explanations -- as well as more complete ones.

Just depends on trying to put yourself in the shoes of our site members and viewers -- plus trying to be factual without too many uneeded words -- plus friendly and helpful.

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

SilverRidge

Fred, are you kidding I look forward to reading your explanations in fact all your posts, your a wealth of all information pertaining to vintage spinning reels, as i said b4 I'm glad ( and lucky ) I found this website ...

Paul

Midway Tommy

I agree, Fred. I think the Microlite was Dam's most well balanced and natural feeling UL. It's a nice little reel that will last forever if maintained.

Here's an example of 4 of Dam's early ULs side-by-side. An interesting comparison and evolution. I've never figured out why they felt the need to increase the rotor cup size on the 110N unless it was to try to reduce line twist.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

I didn't know anything about these Quicks 'til I joined this site...now I find myself totally absorbed into these posts. These reels get much respect from folks who have my respect...one of these days I gotta get my hands on one. I almost feel incomplete not owning one. Thanks for all the pics and info folks! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

SilverRidge

Mo65 ... Know what you mean, I received a Dam Quick reel as an unexpected gift, heard of the reel and the company but knew nothing about them, was so impressed with the quality and workmanship I now have six useable Dam quick reels in my collection with another on the way, cannot absorb enough information on them that's why Fred is such a gift, I've gotta a lot of brain pickin to do on him, the longer his explanations the better I like em ....

Paul