Need some opinions

Started by Squirmypug, April 08, 2011, 05:14:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirmypug

I've been searching for a reel for throwing Gotcha plugs and Mirrolures for catching baitfish for shark.Most of the fish will be ladyfish, bluefish, whiting, and jack crevalle.I usually baitfish for them but would like a new way to catch them and have been looking at an Abu c3 reel.I just don't know how long an Abu will hold up to the salt and also the high drag settings for some of the fish.Any opinions on the c3 reels or anyother round baitcast reel that would do what I need would be great.Thanks in advance for any info  :)
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Fishermans Paradise

I have a couple of the ABU C3's and C4's, Both are nice reels, and I am very pleased with them.  They hold up well BUT I am very particular about the care of my gear.  I have seen a few 6500 C3's come into my shop that only receive "Annual Maintenance"  Over all the reels perform and hold up well but for the fish you are targeting, you may want to look at a Penn 525 Mag.  There are still some around but I believe Penn has discontinued this reel, very smooth and strong for the price, and it offers a bit more drag and capacity than the 6500 C3.  Also the penn is not a leveleind reel.  Good Luck and let us know which you decide on !

Squirmypug

Thanks Fishermans, I already own 2 penn 525 mags  ;D They are what I have been using to catch bait for a few years but only with 3-8oz and bait or a free lined mullet for the bigger jacks and such, I can't seem to throw light lures and plugs with them.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Roger

What weight lures are trying to throw?
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Squirmypug