Penn Spinfisher V 6500LL questions

Started by ReelFishingProblems, December 20, 2016, 06:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Hello again Ohana

I want to buy a 6500LL as my next spinning reel. I will be fishing mostly off a kayak and sometimes a 17' and a 19' twin-vee boat that I will rent from MacDill AIr Force Base's MWR program.
1) is this reel appropriate for fishing in these waters or is there a better choice of spinner at a similar price point
2) I have never used a live liner/ bait runner, is it worth having and learning how to use?

Thank you for your help

Nick

handi2

Quote from: ReelFishingProblems on December 20, 2016, 06:29:31 PM
Hello again Ohana

I want to buy a 6500LL as my next spinning reel. I will be fishing mostly off a kayak and sometimes a 17' and a 19' twin-vee boat that I will rent from MacDill AIr Force Base's MWR program.
1) is this reel appropriate for fishing in these waters or is there a better choice of spinner at a similar price point
2) I have never used a live liner/ bait runner, is it worth having and learning how to use?

Thank you for your help

Nick

Nick live liner reels have their place and many use them. They would be good in the Kayak for sure.

Over the years I have noticed the Penn's SSV LL reels have more problems than the others. The rear nut and its drag system gets water inside and corrodes easily.

Now the older Penn Slammer LL reels don't do this much at all.

I think Shimano makes the best LL type reels. From what I've seen they have far less problems. If I were buying one it would be the Spheros LL reel. They are made for saltwater.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ReelFishingProblems

Keith,

Thank you for the good information. I've seen some slammer LLs for sale, is there anything necessary to do to them to get them in great shape? Carbon drag upgrades?

Are the Shimano Baitrunner D series any good?

Again thank you

Nick

exp2000

The Penn Live Liner mechanism is weak and will very likely break.

In their quest for cost saving they have shortened the main support screw so that rather than being supported by the reel body, it stops short placing the full operational load on a projecting support post. The result is this post will frequently shear as it is not strong enough to accommodate the load.

The SSV live-liner mechanism is considerably more robust but as Keith said, the rear drag assembly is prone to corrosion. Also water can leak in past the pinion assembly and the gasket sealed gearbox ensures it will stay there accumulating over time.

If you must have a Baitrunner go with a Shimano. The D series is OK but the Thunnus Ci4 is the pick.

But a much better choice for kayak use would be the new SW series Saragosa or Spheros. Overall they are well sealed from stem to stern, far more-so than a Baitrunner plus they are constructed from quality durable materials.
~

ReelFishingProblems

Really good info, throwing a curveball, are there any vintage spinning reels that will be good for fishing Tampa bay from a kayak that are proven to be much more durable and reliable?

Nick

oc1

The clunky old Spinfisher 700 series (greenie and Z) have poor tolerances, rustic design and none of the modern conveniences.  That is what makes them ideal for really harsh conditions and treatment.  You can dunk them, or drag them in the sand, and just keep fishing.  If they don't get cleaned at the end of a long day they will still be ready to go again tomorrow.  Available in a range of sizes and if you know one you know them all.  imho.
-steve

mizmo67

*cough*

Don't tell Penn I said this but...not pleased with the durability of that live liner drag system, whether it's the Slammer or the SSV's

The Shimano Baitrunners seem to be the best of the bunch.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

ReelFishingProblems

All right, I think the consensus is shimano baitrunner if that function is desired.

The reel question is, how many people use live line / bait runner functions? What do you like most about it?

If this is a problematic function best avoided than I think a good classic spinning reel might be the way to go.

I read Alan hawk's review of the DAM Quick 5001 and that seems pretty amazing, but hard to find. Is the 706Z a good alternative? I'm looking for a sturdy workhorse that can hold 40-65 lb power pro, all metal body with gears that could work in a tank. Does such a jewel exist?

thorhammer

I use 560 and 460 Slammer LL offshore for deadsticking live bait for mahi, and also bailing. They get wet, but maybe not as much as yakking. How, specifically are you gonna use it? slow trolling live bait, casting, or bottom drop? BTW a 6000 size will also work fine on your new stick for those such activities.

ReelFishingProblems

I don't really know exactly what I would use it on/for. Thought I would start doing research and when the time was right get a rig and mess around. It will definitely be used on a kayak and inshore. Just thought it would be a versatile size for that and a baitrunnner would offer some more flexibility.

thorhammer

philaroman

not sure of the specifics, but I believe Shimano & Okuma have alternate design freeline spools that fit many of their regular models -- i.e., dual drag control on top of the spool w/ no lever on the reel body...  probably less range & durability than a proper Baitrunner, but an interesting option for occasional use or experimentation

I'll try to dig up more details...

handi2

Many of the kayak guys here use the LL reels. That's how I know they don't last that long. Even though they have seals.

The LL or Baitrunner function is great when fishing more than one rod which all of them do. Here we get Sailfish and Mahi right off the beach along with King Mackerel and others. Most of them do use LL type reels.

With my shop just a stones throw from the Gulf I get kayak reels in here all the time that have been dunked and drug through the sand. Even the Shimano Stradic reels barely get water in them.

The big old black Shimano Baitrunner 6500 reels seem to last forever.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

Have a 6500 B  shimano Baitrunner. While hikin down a steep beach access,  fell and the rotor arm got bent, rubbing on the spool. Of coarse I went too far bending it back & broke it. It's odd(to me) construction ; 1/2 graphite, 1/2 aluminum. So it became a bail wireless reel with a few minor tweaks. Replaced the drag washers with smooth drags, but was surprised by the relatively small diameter. Upon testin it, I's shocked by the torque flexing of the stem(section between reel seat & gear box) at only about 8 lbs. drag pressure. Apparently, it's all graphite and I think the whole body is. It was a nice smooth spinner to use, but I wouldn't trust it ona big 'un. Also, had a hair pullin, blue streak talkin 5+hrs. a rebuildin time with it. Gettin the assembly sequence right drove me nutty, and I's usin the tutorial from this site! Great experience though. Baitrunner feature was flawless the times I used it, an when I opened her up the AR bearing was the only thing corroded.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Ay reel that will stand up to a good dunking, is a centre pin Alvey reel. cheers donnydoat.
Don, or donnyboat