Quick HD Salt Super & Tiny Tough Little Microlite

Started by foakes, December 22, 2016, 02:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

A friend on site wanted his Quick 270 Super he got on eBay restored --

Then he wanted a 110 microlite also --

Each is mostly new parts after restoration.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

David and Goliath. ;)
That 270 is so massive. The Centrifugal force of just cranking it fast is something to see.
Life is Good!

David Hall

STRIPER LOU

Very nice Fred! That Super is Super big! Did they ever make one with a half bail?
.............Lou

oc1

Fred, what is the line capacity of the microlite?  Thanks,
-steve

RowdyW

Quote from: David Hall on December 22, 2016, 02:41:16 AM
How come the handles are on the wrong side?
Cast with the right hand & crank with the left. It's a righty reel. ;D

foakes

Lou --

The Quicks never had half bails to my knowledge -- what they did offer on these big supers was a PUM --

Pick Up Manual -- or basically a way to remove the bail and just have a pick up device.  Many HD Salt Spinners have these now, and have had them for 40 years or more.  Mitchell, Luxor, Penn, and many others.

Take a minute to blow up the bail and bail lever on the Super Pic -- notice how strong the bail assembly is -- welded and machined bail -- not wire, a double threaded set of screws with a stability spacer just for additional strength.

Steve --

With the cork arbor in place, the line capacity is 105 yards of 4lb mono -- on the 110 Microlite.  This is the same for the 265 Microlite, since they share the same spool.  Spools will interchange on these two Microlites -- but not on the 110N.  The spool on the older 265 Microlite is metal, on the 110 it is plastic like on the ABU Cardinal 3s.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Fred,

PUM 270 is probably what I saw a while back on ebay. I should have grabbed it. If one comes along or if you have one for sale, please put my name on it.

Thanks and all the best, .. Lou

Bryan Young

Those are some really nice reels.  Dam Quick must still be very popular in Germany since all of the stores that I had visited still have their logos all over the stores.  I remember I purchased this golden line with the Dam Quick label.  It was soft and stretchy.  Perfect because I was fishing 2# test at the time. 

Memories, like the corner of my mind, misty covered memories,...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Lou --

The PUM factory kit is an accessory that just installs in place of the bail -- making it a manual line pickup.

I do not have any of these.

The kit is very rare -- and someone would just need to be a little lucky, I think -- but anything is possible with right place, right time, throughout the world.

If looking for a manual bail -- it is easy enough to modify by removing the bail and replacing on the angle lever a pickup mechanism.  

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

SilverRidge

Ok here comes the newbie with another dumb question, is the 110 and 110 N considered a Microlite, is it the same size the 110 series as the Microlite reel or next step larger ??
Thanks
Paul

STRIPER LOU

Thanks for the info Fred. I'll keep and eye out.
Just took a look at one from and old Mitchell and it wouldn't take much to machine one up. Its on the list!

.................Lou

foakes

They are all considered "Microlites", Paul --

No question is weird -- sometimes the answers are though...

Am building out a few for folks this week and next -- using any new parts necessary to prove capable and cosmetically excellent.

Here are a few I just pulled out of the bone-pile for comparison --

Best Always,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

SilverRidge

I see said the blind man .....I'm learning slowly but surely, I still cannot get over your parts inventory amazing .
Thanks Fred ...

Paul

Midway Tommy

Nice rebuilds, Fred.

Dam only made 2 half bails, to my knowledge, and both were very short lived. The first was the Quick Cat. #15 in 1939 - '42. WWII ceased production. That reel was the precursor to the post war Quick Standard Cat. #250. The second was the Dam Quick Junior Cat. #230 in 1951 - '52. Both are extremely rare. As far as I know, as Fred indicated, Dam only used full bails on all their other models. The MPU conversion kit for the 270 & 275 2-speed is Cat. #271. That kit is extremely hard to come by.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)