Nep-Tuna / Finor

Started by droppedit, December 23, 2016, 01:35:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike,

The three speed is spoken about in the Kovalovsky book.

Ray

Thanks Ray, without you I would not remember much of anything...................

54bullseye

Here are a few pictures of a Fin-Nor Tri gear I have had around 10 years. They are pretty neat reels quite heavy as there is a lot of steel packed into them. You have to get used to shifting them there similar to the two speeds in that you press the little slide button that allows you to lift up on the handle then you rotate it and drop it into the next gear but possibly sounds easier than it is !! I think with a big Marlin or Tuna on it might have been quite a feat to make it shift smooth but I am sure with practice it would work smooth !!

About a month ago there was a neat Fin-Nor 2.5 size that had a two speed designed by Zuckerman that was a prototype that he owned !! I went after it but someone wanted it more than me !! Neat piece of reel history ! John Taylor

54bullseye

Here is the rod it is mounted on. I think rod is older than the reel but it's a pretty massive heavy set up ! The aluminum butt is solid so it's real heavy. Notice the nuts used on reel seat. Would be fun to give it a go ! 
John Taylor

Penn Chronology

Tycoon and Fin-Nor. You are at the Top of the World John!!

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

I love those fun-nor guides. They are world class guides.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Penn Chronology

QuoteNotice the nuts used on reel seat.

John, the nuts look like Fiber Lock Nuts, similar to the ones used on Aircraft. They are a friction lock nut, not a positive lock nut like one used with a Cotter Pin. Only the best used by Fin-Nor.

54bullseye

They are very rugged and I have seen same nuts on other Fin-Nor's  and a few other big game rods.  John