Tester Needed: 113H insert drag kit

Started by Three se7ens, December 24, 2016, 05:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I need someone who already has one of my 113H insert drag kits, who is interested in testing out a new set of carbon fiber washers.  Im testing out a new material similar to whats used in the brakes of Formula One cars and airliners.  Looks pretty promising from my initial tests, and I have one set of washers to fit one of my insert kits available. 

Im looking for someone who already has one of my 113H insert kits, and who uses their reel pretty hard.  Ill send you the washers for no charge, I just want feedback on how they perform compared to the washers included in the kit. 

steelfish

Wow, that sounds very intetesting, keeping an eye on this
The Baja Guy

handi2

I have 6 reels running with your insert on a charter boat. That would be the test.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Here is the material

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

Adam - what is the material? A carbon/aramid weave perhaps :-\

handi2

It looks like Everol and Accurate material.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 25, 2016, 09:52:45 AM
Adam - what is the material? A carbon/aramid weave perhaps :-\

Its 100% carbon fiber with a carbon binder/filler. Typically the binder is a plastic of sorts(e.g. epoxy), but this has been heat treated at approximately 3600 degrees, and all that's left is the carbon fibers and pure carbon.

That means the operating temperature is many times higher than the materials typically used in drag washers. 

wallacewt

hi 3sevens  just looking at the photo it appears a coarse weave
dont  matter i suppose if you wanna stop the car at 260mph
but the fishing reel is a bit different here is a simple test
that will let you know if you are on the right track
make your washers,put the reel back together
reel must be full of line,no knots
suspend the reel 5 or 6 ft above the floor by the fishing line
slowly release the drag tension until the reel begins to fall
dont touch the reel till it reaches the floor
it should be silky smooth and no jerks,it should do it every time you test
10 times dry then 10 times with cals
this  is  assuming the reel is in 1st class condition
is it worth it? absolutely
will it be better,we dont know
silky smooth startup is the key,
good luck

Three se7ens

Quote from: handi2 on December 25, 2016, 02:18:35 PM
It looks like Everol and Accurate material.

Id be interested in taking a look at either if you had any spares. 

Three se7ens

Quote from: wallacewt on December 25, 2016, 08:16:49 PM
hi 3sevens  just looking at the photo it appears a coarse weave
dont  matter i suppose if you wanna stop the car at 260mph
but the fishing reel is a bit different here is a simple test
that will let you know if you are on the right track
make your washers,put the reel back together
reel must be full of line,no knots
suspend the reel 5 or 6 ft above the floor by the fishing line
slowly release the drag tension until the reel begins to fall
dont touch the reel till it reaches the floor
it should be silky smooth and no jerks,it should do it every time you test
10 times dry then 10 times with cals
this  is  assuming the reel is in 1st class condition
is it worth it? absolutely
will it be better,we dont know
silky smooth startup is the key,
good luck

Ill leave the majority of testing and final verdict to others who have far more experience in such than I do.  That being said, I have never tested a drag(including any of my kits or any factory reels) that allowed line to come off so slowly while still being smooth as these washers. 

I will test them with Cal's but I expect they will perform better without due to their nature.  Im a firm believer in Cal's for the typical ht100 style drag washers, but this is nothing like those.  And the grease would be a factor that affects how these respond to temperature changes.  Whats the point in using a grease thats only good for 300-400 degrees when the rest of the system can safely sustain 4-5 times that. 

Robert Janssen

Quote from: handi2 on December 25, 2016, 02:18:35 PM
It looks like Everol and Accurate Duel material.

It does, but it is not.

Alto Mare

Adam, the washers arrived today, I will give them a shot as soon as I get a chance.
When I first opened the package, I thought those were the same as the ones I already had

They feel much smoother, I'm glad they're not the same as the ones on the left, those didn't do too good in the reel.

I will keep you posted.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Adam this is what I found today.

I used a Cortez built 113H with your Insert and Alan Chui's internals.

With the greased Carbontex 20lbs was smooth and tightening the drag star was easy. I use a Delrin washer under the star. To get 25+lbs the drag was still smooth but tightening the star was getting to be uncomfortable.

With the new carbon washers 20lbs was slippery smooth and the star tension was the same. One half turn or less the drag jumped to 35lbs and was still smooth. The star tension was less.

I'm guessing the new washers don't compress as much as the softer greased Carbontex.

This was just a simple test done by having a drag scale secured in a vise and pulling on the reel.

Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on December 28, 2016, 09:46:19 PM
Adam this is what I found today.

I used a Cortez built 113H with your Insert and Alan Chui's internals.

With the greased Carbontex 20lbs was smooth and tightening the drag star was easy. I use a Delrin washer under the star. To get 25+lbs the drag was still smooth but tightening the star was getting to be uncomfortable.

With the new carbon washers 20lbs was slippery smooth and the star tension was the same. One half turn or less the drag jumped to 35lbs and was still smooth. The star tension was less.

I'm guessing the new washers don't compress as much as the softer greased Carbontex.

This was just a simple test done by having a drag scale secured in a vise and pulling on the reel.

Hmmm...

This sounds promising.

I think these will perform better ungreased.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.