Dam quick super 275 2 speed

Started by Swami805, December 27, 2016, 02:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Greetings, I saw a post about this reel and was intrigued at the thought of a 2 speed spinning reel. I checked everyone's favorite auction site and found one. A quick pm to our resident dam expert ( thanks Fred) for some guidance and I was the only bidder and won the auction. The reel arrived on Saturday and is in very nice condition and everything works smoothly. The seller listed it as recently serviced that that appears to be the case. I was wondering if anyone has ever fished with one of these and what it is capable of? Any idea of drag numbers or if a drag upgrade is possible? Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

theswimmer

I have 2 of the single speed Supers and have caught salmon up to 25 lbs and I know my Dad and Grandpa caught fish bigger when fishing in Alaska.
I also have used one for Ling cod fishing off the California coast , no problem handling Lings up to 17 lbs.
Drag #'s  I don't know....
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

foakes

Like Jonathan sez, these are tough & HD Salt Water reels. 

Even the 2 speed is a pretty simple, straightforward affair -- like we are used to with D-A-M, typically overbuilt and strong.

The spool is metal -- so it will take modern Cal's greased CF drags after a little custom trimming.

The drag washers are small, with less surface then we are used to today -- but when CF'd with an extra washer or two on top of the 3 stack -- they perform well.

Do not know drag numbers -- but they are capable.

Introduced in 1962 -- discontinued a couple of years later -- fairly rare -- all parts are the same for the 270/275 -- except for the AR lever, and certain parts pertaining only to the 2 speed.

Low speed for cranking torque is 1:5-1, High Speed is 4:0-1.

If someone bought this reel new in 1962 at age 20 (55 years ago) -- they would now have been possibly retired for 13 years -- but the reel would be still going strong -- and not ready for retirement yet.

There are a few things to be aware of on these, such as regular maintenance, keeping the salt out, and proper lubrication both for performance and to help with salt repelling.

And there are ways to improve performance.

Pretty neat reels -- and with a purpose possibly ahead of their time.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

Thanks, I mainly use spinning reels for catching bait with sabikis or surf perch fishing with grubs so this is a bit of new territory for me. I have a nos 12' silaflex blank that has this reels name written all over it. I'll pull the drag washers out measure them and see what I can do to improve it. Always a lot of fun trying new tackle. Thanks again Sheridan

Swami805

Greetings it's been raining so no work for me so thought I'd see what I can do to improve the drag on this dam super 2 speed. Here's the drag washers next to a dime. The meal washers a thicker than the dime one washer has 2 ears on the outside the other two have one ear that fits in a groove in the shaft. Not sure what the drag material is but they're very hard and smaller in diameter than the metal washers. I'm sure carbon fiber would be a good start but if the metal washers were thinner I think it could be increased from a 3 to a five stack. Thoughts? Any ideas how I could pull this of?  This is a beefy reel and I think it could handle some fairly heavy braid.  Thanks Sheridan

foakes

:DHere is what I do on these, Sheridan --

Start with (2) under spool washers -- bottom is brass, top is Cal's greased CF.

Inside the metal spool, there is room for either a 4 or 5 stack -- but you must flat sand the metal drag washers thinner to fit -- no rough edges -- must be smooth and squarely flat-lapped.

I use Cal's greased CFs that are Penn -- 209 size -- put 4 or five on a bolt with 2 backing washers and a nut -- chuck them in a drill press or drill -- use a fine file to slightly reduce the diameter until they fit into the spool cavity without touching the sides.

Here is the order -- 4 would work easier -- and be plenty of drag -- but 5 could work too -- your call.

The under spool cf should have a smaller hole, like the brass washer there -- I just used this for an inline order example.  Or Delrin would work there also.  The factory drags are made of a hard material they called resistex

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Swami805

Thanks Fred. Sanding washers isn't really in my wheel house so maybe I'll just Add the two washers under the spool. I have a set of 209 washers. I randomly checked a shimano sebona4000 I use for bait and the washers drop right in just need to drill the center a bit. I'll order a some to replace the old ones. Does the 2 washers under the spool interfere with the little clicker dog?  Any modification needed there?
Here's a picture of the stock washers the 209 washers and the Sedona washers

foakes

No problem with spacing with the (2) washers under the spool, Sheridan --

Stock configuration is the brass then a resistex -- about the same thickness as the CF and brass.

Anything you do will improve an already strong reel.

Ideally, what we need is a 5 stack using thin SS and CFs -- as in Bryan's ultimate upgrade kit.

I have made these before, and they work good.

If you need any washers, keyed, or eared -- just let me know and I will send you what you need at N/C.

These old Supers are tough reels -- and I like to see them in service.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Swami805

Thanks Fred, I think I'll take you upon that. I had an unfortunate incident in my youth involving a large spinning reel,40lb mono,a live squid and a big yellowtail. I've never used spinning reels since.I'm starting to rethink my position. I'm thinking this reel is good one to get my feet wet. Of course this leads this  to having to build a rod to put it on. But first things first, Maximize the potential of this one. Thanks again Sheridan

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Quote from: Swami805 on January 12, 2017, 01:45:53 PM
Thanks Fred, I think I'll take you upon that. Thanks again Sheridan

Got your mailing info, Sheridan -- Thanks...

Since you have sourced the CFs (good job!) -- I will send a complete new drag stack that you can play around with.

Applying light Cal's drag grease on the CFs -- work it into the fiber with your fingers -- wipe off the excess -- it will be smooth as a hot knife through butter -- from startup to full lockdown.

Since this is a large, HD tough Salt Spinner -- with a metal spool -- I do not know the upper limits of it's drag range capabilities -- but it should work for you -- and has never let me down.

Try it with just (3) CF washers -- if you need more, you can add them after you flat lap the metal ones down.

Maybe we can source some really thin CFs -- like Bryan offers -- get the metal thinner -- end up with a 5 stack -- probably not much call for these -- except to us Vintage Quick, Mitchell, Penn -- Spinner Nerd-Heads -- but it would be fun.

Got 11 inches of rain in the last 5 days -- started snowing this morning -- looking out my shop window -- it is a good day to work on pumping out some reels.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Swami805

Thanks Fred. This should be fun. I have a drag scale I use to set my drags for tuna fishing  I'll play around with the washers to see what kind of numbers I can get.
You get real weather there. If it rains a little here 2 days in a row here we go on "storm watch".
Stay warm. Sheridan

CH

I too find the Super to be a very interesting reel.
Very stout. What's the diameter of the spool on that?

I'm thinking excellent reel for a surf rod. Also good for dogging in big Shovelhead & Blue cats out of the river.

High 60's & rain here with a nice ice storm coming in Friday night. OH JOY!
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Swami805

The spool is about 2 3/4" wide 7(cm)  about 1" deep (2cm) and about 1" wide. It should hold a decent amount of 50- 65lb braid. I was thinking maybe a good reel for throw poppers. Low gear would be handy.

CH

Quote from: Swami805 on January 14, 2017, 12:23:37 AM
The spool is about 2 3/4" wide 7(cm)  about 1" deep (2cm) and about 1" wide. It should hold a decent amount of 50- 65lb braid. I was thinking maybe a good reel for throw poppers. Low gear would be handy.

Thank you.
So about twice the size of, say a 110N.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted