Quality Reel

Started by sharkman, December 28, 2016, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Opinions, what makes a good reel? Quality parts, sustainability to keep running, technology advancements, drag power, ease to service, or is it a compromise?

I will admit when I first started I feel victim to the shiny syndrome. Then as the shine wore off and I started having to fix the reels my views changed. Now my goal is to own reels that will last under heavy demands of fishing.

Cor

Define "good"?
In my case, I require of a reel:-
1.   Minimum 40" per handle turn retrieve rate
2.   Preferably Magnetic cast control
3.   Minimum 200mt 0.55mm mono
4.   Good casting ability
5.   Smooth operation
6.   Depending upon which application, Drag may not be critical to me
7.   Durability

so if the reel fits the bill, does it well and lasts, then its a great reel.

Perhaps I should have added "low maintenance" as well
Cornelis

alantani

being able to service it yourself!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dogtagger

For me, reels need to be simple, durable and have parts available. I don't care what color they are, but I don't own any expensive reels. I like the star drag reels that have a unified type of construction. Makes maintenance easy. I just got done going through one of my Penn 115s and it took me several tries to get the thing back together with that silly dog-dog spring arrangement, ugh. I have also found that the Penn International IIs are fairly easy to work on and are very well built.

My shark reels are mostly modified Penn Senators, bottom fishing reels mostly a mix of Penn Jigmasters, Shimano TLD Stars and a couple of Fin-Nor OFCs. My tuna rigs have older Penn Internationals on them.

oc1

Reels that just chug along and do not need servicing or upgrades or advice from Alan Tani to perform properly.
-steve

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on December 28, 2016, 08:22:36 PM
Reels that just chug along and do not need servicing or upgrades or advice from Alan Tani to perform properly.
-steve
Troglodyte, ;D that's blasphemous on this site.   ;D  Too bad that the inquisition is over.  ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

I should have included that they never need to be cleaned or the salt washed off either.
-steve

Bill B

For me robust construction, parts availability, and ease of care are in my top needs for a quality reel. Very few manufacturers can claim these attributes.  Try finding parts for a spinning reel that you just spent $1K on and you will see what I mean, but parts for the lowly Jigmaster you bought at a garage sale for $5 are unlimited. For me I would take a Penn Senator or Special Senator every day over the "newest, latest and greatest" reel.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Quote from: TARFU on December 28, 2016, 09:00:43 PM
Being able to service it yourself - Alan

For me robust construction, parts availability, and ease of care are in my top needs for a quality reel. Very few manufacturers can claim these attributes.  Try finding parts for a spinning reel that you just spent $1K on and you will see what I mean, but parts for the lowly Jigmaster you bought at a garage sale for $5 are unlimited. For me I would take a Penn Senator or Special Senator every day over the "newest, latest and greatest" reel.

Bill

At least for me -- you guys nailed it...

Best Always,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Maxed Out

Quote from: oc1 on December 28, 2016, 08:39:24 PM
I should have included that they never need to be cleaned or the salt washed off either.
-steve

Steve, the reel you describe is also known as a "closet queen" 8) 8). No service or cleaning required :D ...my guess is you own such a reel ::) ::)

-ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Reinaard van der Vossen

What makes a reel good?

capcity of 3 miles of 200# line
150# of drag at freespool with wide smooth drag range
weigh less than 10 ounces
made of platinum

Oh, and at a price that I will be able to tell the Ms that I bought it

Easy :) ;D

David Hall

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 29, 2016, 12:03:20 AM
What makes a reel good?

made of platinum

Just guessing but I'm going to say you don't have one of these?

sharkman

Thanks everyone. I would have to agree with ease to work on and abundance of parts. Seems like older reels meet these more than new reels. The area I having problems is in a 200-2500 size reel that can stand the rigors of surf fishing.

mley1

My favorites are Swedish made Abu's, and USA made Penn's. I've been using Abu's since I was a boy. I've only started working on them myself the past few years. I found that they were easy to work on, and parts were easy to get. I'm finding the same is true for the Penn's. The only other brand I fish with is Daiwa, and that's only been the past 6mos or so. I like them so far. Time will tell on them.

To answer your question better for me though, I'd have to say the best reel for me is one I find at a yard sale, in a pawn shop, or snag on that evil auction site, for cheap. You know, a diamond in the rough, one you can repair or upgrade, and make a fantastic reel out of it. That's the best for me. Then, it has a part of you in it. You'll know that when you reel in a fish with it, it's because you took part in fixing that reel. Here lately, that's what's been making me happy. I love that feeling. And, I plan to keep on doing it.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Reinaard van der Vossen

Quote from: David Hall on December 29, 2016, 02:07:23 AM
Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on December 29, 2016, 12:03:20 AM
What makes a reel good?

made of platinum

Nope, and I don't think they exist either ;D

The TS has made no indication what he was looking for so everybody can make impossible dream wish claims of what is good. With 10 Oz my dreamwish is good for everthing from small snappers to big granders ;D

Just guessing but I'm going to say you don't have one of these?