16/0 SHARK TANK...

Started by Alto Mare, December 30, 2016, 01:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Another Sal 16/0.

I'm backed up with charter reels so I sent Sal a 14/0 to do. I included extra keyed insert washers for the same reason. I also use a Delrin washer under the star on most all reels now.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Really well done and thought out, Sal.

Funny thing is -- with those components, double dogs, SS parts, greased super drag stack with custom insert, delrin, crank, and more -- that reel is twice as capable as the stocker 16/0 in Jaws.

Fantastic work!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 30, 2016, 12:11:50 PM
Thanks guys!

The reel was in pretty rough shape on the inside, I used half of roll of paper towels before soaking the parts.
Most of the screws were frozen, I got lucky none snapped.
One on the left plate wouldn't budge, so I let it go.

Dominick, don't take any bets on me, I'm all beat up :-\.

John, I wouldn't change the tension spring on these, I believe it's one of the best design. Of course the delrin waser helped it :)
The reel start very soft, I actually get no movement with the spool when the star is backed all the way.
The drags feel great to me, up to 40lbs takes very little effort pulling on the reel.
Pulling 40lbs of force with this reel feels like riding a cadillac, doing the same on some others, feel as riding a dump truck. :)
This reel still had more to give, but I didn't want to go there.

I'm hoping he gives it a good workout, he should have no problems with anything that wants to challenge him.

Sal
,,wow ,,,,that guy must be reel happy  awesome  work sal he going to need a bigger boat

Benni3

It's on the rod now

Benni3

I was told this maybe a penn customer made rod not sure

handi2

The wrappings look like a Penn reel. I have some older Penn chair rods with the same wrappings.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Alto Mare

Wow! the perfect match for the Shark Tank! Benny, could you measure the width of that tip for me? just curious.

Thank!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Good stuff Sal, the new member put that reel in the right hands, well done, cheers donnyboat
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

I got this rod last year for my 9/0 when it came in the mail it was 4 time bigger than I imagined but now thanks to ,,,sal,,, everything just works out,, thanks sal  8)

Alto Mare

That thing is massive, I had a good idea it would be around 2 inches, I have never seen anything like that.
Thanks for sharing it with us Benny.
This is an amazing combo, first time to me that a 16/0 mounted on a rod appears to be a 4/0. ;D

This is good stuff!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

That's a full 'beast mode' set-up - sensational!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mley1

A word comes to mind, POWERFUL.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Benni3