16/0 SHARK TANK...

Started by Alto Mare, December 30, 2016, 01:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

I think Adam said it is material failure not the shape of the CF washer.

Rivverrat

Yes it's a material failure. Kudos to Adam for trying this. I hope he doesn't stop.

There are all kinds of variables when dealing with carbon fiber. The weave which I think in this case was one issue but you also have different resins.  Over all strength or having to shore up carbon fiber is not the issue. All carbon fiber is not equal. It's finding the right weave, thread size, count & mix of resins to work together in the environment you want. The environment of the drag in our reels is a wide spectrum. Starts cold & can get pretty hot, quick.

If it was easy every one would do it. Takes money & time. Something that can be hard recouping.   But each one of Adam's attempts have been improvements.

This is an area where a single minded, driven individual could come up with something that could impact the industry with out the aid of high tech. Just by possibly making use of whats already out there & putting all the different pieces together.  If it was easy it'd already be done... Jeff  

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 02, 2018, 09:53:58 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 02, 2018, 08:49:14 PM
Were the prototype ones the harder material that was full on?
I never used any of those.

This is the ones we are talking about.  The coarse weave was breaking apart at high loads. 
You are only one man,
Your efforts are appreciated.
I know you work hard to provide us the best products.
Sometimes, there is a learning curve.
You stand by your parts and I am a customer for life.
Others should follow your example. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

I'm not sure why we are questioning Adam, he was never in question, not by me anyway and I'm the guy that started this.
Let's recap.
Benni went on a fishing expedition and his 20/0 lost drag during a battle.
I opened the reel up and d found that the ears on the washers shredded.
Let me point out that the 9/0 and the 1/0 he used to bring the fish to the boat were also serviced by me.
The washers in those were from the same vendor and as you could see they got the job done.

As of now, we have no idea what the " freight train" tugging on that line was, maybe it wasn't meant to be stopped, no matter what drags were used.

Even though I did not purchase the 20/0 kit, I did have concerns on the small  foot on the frame and contacted Randy when they first came out.
Randy assured me that  Tiburon and himself where pretty confident it would hold.

Randy was correct! after so much stress on that frame, everything still looks good.

I have tested a few washers for Adam in the past, his goal is  to put out the best drag washers he can, this is why he's already working on better material.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mikeysm

I bought a 16/0 insert kit from Adam awhile back for my 20/0. Are the drag washers that came with the inserts affected with this problem.

Mike

Benni3

The captain did show me the mark on the fish finder,,,it looked like the ones on wicked tuna ;) and I did get to fight 2 big ones on the 9/0 it did great  ;) got them up and the shark rigs broke,,,the captain really liked the 1/0 and got a nice snook on it :D uncle sal built the best reels for me with the best parts,,,,but I might have hooked a Russian sub ;D

Three se7ens

Quote from: mikeysm on September 03, 2018, 04:14:20 PM
I bought a 16/0 insert kit from Adam awhile back for my 20/0. Are the drag washers that came with the inserts affected with this problem.

Mike

You should be fine, this wasnt a common problem.  But if it does happen to yours(or anybody's), Ill replace them. 

Rivverrat

My thought is a lot things can break in a lot of reels when exposed to that much force.

mikeysm

The way to deal with it since you already sold it is to come up with a solution and fix it. This way it doesn't leave the customer with out it. I epoxy my inserts in place. That leaves me in a situation that is stressful. Since I intend to use this for shark fishing I need to know.

Mike

Rivverrat

While I would like to know more about how you are setting your drag insert in place with epoxy... Just to be sure Im understanding....

I think all that needs to be said on this other stuff is every one here that makes & sells are good honest people.

Mistakes will be made. Adam did not in any way make a mistake here.
Any one here selling, I  believe will work things out in a positive manner for both. This has been my experience & that of others. If it should happen discuss it in a pm.

Im bad about doing this myself. I dont want clutter this thread of Sal's any more than it is...

Black Pearl

Quote from: Rivverrat on September 04, 2018, 03:22:21 PM
While I would like to know more about how you are setting your drag insert in place with epoxy... Just to be sure Im understanding....

I think all that needs to be said on this other stuff is every one here that makes & sells are good honest people.

Mistakes will be made. Adam did not in any way make a mistake here.
Any one here selling, I  believe will work things out in a positive manner for both. This has been my experience & that of others. If it should happen discuss it in a pm.

Im bad about doing this myself. I dont want clutter this thread of Sal's any more than it is...

Well said.

mikeysm

Just like I said I used epoxy to make sure it doesn't try to work it's way out of the gear. My concern it being on a beach who knows where and have something happen. At that point it becomes a problem. What I seen in the picture concerns me and I want to make sure the problem is not still happening. If so I will toss the insert before I go any further.

Rivverrat

Just send Adam a PM. I have every confidence he will take care of any concerns you may have. Just trying to help with a suggestion... Jeff

mikeysm

I decided not to use the insert. Just taking to much of a chance.

Mike

Alto Mare

Quote from: mikeysm on September 04, 2018, 09:20:09 PM
I decided not to use the insert. Just taking to much of a chance.

Mike
You are entitle to do as you please, I just want to mention that this fish was caught on the same washers material, but smaller in size;

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20497.msg298746#msg298746
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.