Prioritizing Upgrade Parts

Started by Baller777, January 02, 2017, 06:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baller777

All,
   I'm hoping you caneed give me some advice. I inherited a JM500  from my grandfather a few years back, and I'm looking to make some mods to it. Initially, I plan to narrow it to a 501 with a tib frame.

After this I was looking at replacing all the internals with stainless and upgrading to a 5:1 gear ratio with all of the parts from smooth drags.

Do I really need to upgrade ALL of the internals? Can I spread out the purchases?

Bryan Young

Hi Baller777,

Welcome to our site.

Regarding upgrades, I suggest upgrade as things get broke.  The only problem is many of the upgrade parts are made by Hobbist and therefore may be limited run.

What upgrades are you considering?   Maybe we can help prioritize them.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Baller777

The sky's the limit.  I like to have unique gear. I'm working with Randy (I found his name on this website) to get me set up with a narrow 501 Tiburon frame plus a round knob power handle.
I bought drags from smooth drags.

And now just looking at changing all of the internals. Change to 5:1 gear ratio. And change everything to stainless steel (although once I opened the reel some parts already look stainless... )
So basically upgrade the eccentric plate (?) to include double dogs, the yoke, etc... I'm not sure of what these all do, so not sure if it's worth it.

wallacewt

is it WORTH it.what a question
only you can answer that ?
if you  are talking dollars, no
do you want to shoot the works.
put the reel up in the show case and have
yourself and other tanites dribble and drool
over it,of cause it is.
turn an old reel into a tank,worth it, yes,if you are going to fish it
modern reels are better than old
so you see there are lots of ?
you can turn an old reel into a good fishing reel cheaply
thats worth it,if parts are available
its a hobby,addiction,obsession,is it worth it,is it worth it
makes me feel useful and i can help others
is it worth it,answers will be worthwhile
careful you dont catch the bug
cheers

Bryan Young

If the sky's the limit then I say do it all at once since the parts are available.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 02, 2017, 06:44:50 PMThe only problem is many of the upgrade parts are made by Hobbist and therefore may be limited.

My average cutting is 10-20 pcs but somehow I ended up with 200 15-500 AR dogs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 02, 2017, 06:44:50 PM
Regarding upgrades, I suggest upgrade as things get broke.

Bryan is right -- but it must be done before you go broke!   😎😎😎

Best approach, IMO -- determine where you wish to go with a reel -- HD capable Fisher, fun project, Bling Bomb, or Plinth Princess.

They are all good -- it really depends on the builder.

Wallace also has great points!  We should all read and understand them.

There is wisdom in his words...

Most of us can upgrade a Jigmaster for as little as the cost of a capable greased drag stack, delrin UG washer, SS sleeve, and power handle.

And we can easily spend $500 also.

Just depends on where we want to end up with the reel.

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Baller777

You all make very good points... "is it worth it?" Is extremely subjective.

Let's put it this way... it's a fun project in beefing out a basic capable reel.

MarkT

You can certainly buy a new 2-speed that would be much more capable than a maxed out Jigmaster... and cheaper too.  But there is that sense of accomplishment in having a tricked out Penn with no Penn parts in it!
Jigmasters and Senators are tinker toy reels and can be upgraded incrementally.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Ron Jones

Alan, of course, is spot on with this. My #1 upgrade is always a SS gear sleeve. It makes the reel so much nicer. If your dead set on a Tib kit then more power to you, but unless you are really fishing hard a stock 501 parts reel or a used Newell kit is cheaper and you can get a lifetime of use out of it. To me, it is nice if the reel is special for some reason to keep it looking the way that makes it special. A gear sleeve, HT-100 drag set and a nice handle will make the reel feel like it costs 3 times the amount it did and catch anything that can be caught with 30# line.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

MarkT

I dunno, I've always thought that the Tib frame holding the plates in alignment is the first upgrade. The sleeve is good if you're pushing the drag above what a Jigmaster could otherwise handle.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Baller777

Thank you guys for the insight...

I think this thread just saved me about $80! I'll be getting the tib frame, carbontex drags, UG washer, and the stainless sleeve.

Now that my jigmaster upgrade is in progress, i'll start planning out my 113H rebuild... i've seen a ton of great ideas!

Bill B

Good luck on the rebuild, do not be afraid to ask questions, information freely flows here......Please post some pictures of your progress.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Baller777

Apparently i ran off too quickly... are all stainless sleeves created equal? Meaning, is any one better than the other?

I saw a link that Alan had a kit with the sleeve, retaining pin, and UG washer... is that still available? Are there any others that are easier to work with?

I'm going to have to find one for my Penn 100 as well!