one piece dog and post for a squidder

Started by mhc, January 04, 2017, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I recently received a Cortez Classic 146 squidder kit - Thanks Tom!! - and then started thinking about how to double dog it while I wait for the internal parts. I know reels this size don't need two dogs for strength but I like to reduce the handle back-play as much as possible. Tom's 9 tooth 98-155 gear sleeve helps a bit but two alternating dogs would be twice as good.
I am not going to modify Tom's plates, so hanging the second dog on the available bridge screw won't work, and there is very little clearance between the gear and the side plate so a 2nd dog on the bridge would need to fit between Tom's 98-155 sleeve ratchet and the outer diameter of the 5-60 gear - a gap about 5.5mm wide.

The narrowest dogs that I know of (width at the post) are Cortez squidder dogs at 5.3mm and Pro Challenger jigmaster dogs at 5.5mm. Dogs swiveling on a post won't fit unless maybe the post size can be reduced.

If the dog and post were one piece, swiveling in a hole in the bridge, the dog could be as narrow as the post, or slightly wider to give a shoulder - around 3-4 mm total width. I've got a feeling I've seen this concept before but can't remember where, I'm sure I wouldn't be the first to think of it.
I made a rough prototype out of 6mm 316 stainless, using files and a hacksaw - my axe is broken  ;D and tested it in an old 3-66 bridge I have used for a few trials.

Cut a groove for a C clip with a bit of scrap the thickness of the bridge as a guide;

The faded black marker lines on the bridge are traced around a 5-60 gear. I.ve used a small 349 style dog spring here but have left some material at the back of the dog to play around with shaping it for a coil spring if it fits.

The gear in place covering the dog and spring;

C clip holding it in place (before the post was trimmed)

I bench tested the dog to an equivalent static drag of 20lbs, using a 'torque bar' and logic from jurelometer's thread on calculating gear shaft torque: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14241.30  (no photo's).
The dog, post and hole performed well at 20lbs - there was no deformation of any of the components.

I had a concern the post would wear the hole in the plate, then forgot about it in my enthusiasm, Chris (Rothmar2) had the same concern when I showed him some photos and suggested a stainless bridge might hold up better. I've seen dogs worn at the ratchet end but I haven't seen the post hole flogged out on a dog - is this because the tips wear first and are replaced before the post hole wears?

I'm wondering what others think, keeping in mind we are talking about a squidder with 10 - 15 lbs drag max.  

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

thorhammer

I gotta get past what you did with a file first before I process an opinion. That's pretty amazing stuff!

John

Bryan Young

Whaaaaat?.?.?.?

By the looks of your photos, your file edges are now worn out, the SS took out the teeth of the file.

I'm speechless.  Wow?  Very cool design.  Just WOW.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

PacRat

Serious hand-tool skills! My hat is off to you Sir!
-Mike

Cortez_Conversions

Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Tiddlerbasher

Shady tree engineering - well done that man :)

Dominick

The way things are going on this site I now don't stand still.  I'm afraid if I stand still long enough someone on the site will try to modify me.   :D I'm perfect the way I am so I don't need upgrading.   ::) Great work Mike.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

steelfish

this are the kind of things you would never believe without pictures

awesome job, compadre.
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Mike, being able to do that type of work, designing the part and shaping it with hand tools is a gift.
Excellent job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Quote from: Dominick on January 04, 2017, 05:13:08 PM
The way things are going on this site I now don't stand still.  I'm afraid if I stand still long enough someone on the site will try to modify me.   :D I'm perfect the way I am so I don't need upgrading.   ::) Great work Mike.  Dominick

I don't know, you sure you couldn't use another dog?

foakes

Well done, Mike --

Good eye, and good hand tool skills.

On our big road trip last year, we spent a day in Colonial Williamsburg.

This reminds me of the skill of the craftspeople in making firearms, tools, silversmithing, hardware, wagon wheels, and every possible useful thing for their community -- all with hand tools, common sense, and skillful experience.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Very good mike. You're a patient man!
..........Lou

Rothmar2

Great unique work there Mike, thanks for pix. I think the hole through the bridge will be OK as long as the drag setting is kept realistic, I'll say 10lb or less. An occasional bump up to 12-14 shouldn't hurt it too much, provided there is a "heavy" grease in there. Something like a TSI 321 thinned down EP (extreme pressure) grade would do it. Try and polish the dog shaft (1st) and bridge hole as best you can without compromising fit, combined with a good load bearing grease, will also go a long way to reducing the tendency for hole to get flogged out prematurely.
Flat sided files are a great thing! Will look into knocking up some other dog blanks on the lathe, with more precise C-clip grooves for you when you get the bridge to me. I was thinking a thin washer (shim thickness), say 0.4-0.5mm under the 69B-600 clip might give slightly better all-round support to keep the dog better aligned. Could be overthinking with this idea as well?

oc1

Man, you sure have steady hands and good eyes... not to mention ingenuity and patience. Excellent work.
-steve