114HLW with a Penn Aluminum Frame

Started by mley1, January 06, 2017, 10:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mley1

Ya'll, I'm not sure if I made a good find or not. I'm pretty sure this is gonna turn out to be a good reel. The other day I was perusing that evil auction site, and came across this reel. It's a Penn 114HLW, with a full Penn aluminum frame. It was 95.00 shipped, buy it now. So, I figured what the heck. An aluminum frame alone cost that much. The pics looked pretty good. The seller had good ratings. I hit the buy it now button.

It got here today. I was pleasantly surprised. There wasn't much time for me to open her up and look at the insides. However, I did take out all the outer screws, grease them and put them back in. There were no screws corroded or stuck. The base looked good as well. I removed all the screws on the base, greased them and put them back on. The reel is a bit dirty. I can see a layer of dirt on the bottom inside of the frame, where water and grime collects below the spool. It should be easy to clean out. I'm headed out of town this afternoon. So, I won't be able to get to it until next week. I'm pleased with it so far. It looks to have 80lb mono on it. The drag feels good on it.

Does anyone know if these reels came with stainless gears? HT100 drags? What years were these made? I haven't seen many of these, only two on the evil auction site. And, I got one of them. Did I pay too much, or get a reasonable deal? Here are some pics.

Good luck fishing,

Marty

FatTuna

I've had a few of these. They are really good reels. The ones I had came with a brass main and stainless pinon gears. Although, I've seen other 114H that had the old steel main gear. Personally, I like the look of the stock frame over the aftermarket ones. At $95 you did pretty good. I think I sold mine for $165 each.

handi2

It will have the bronze gears and HT-100 drags. Very nice find.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

That is a good deal for a wide in that Condition.
From looking at the Plates, I would say it has a brass main and an HT-100 five stack inside.
Life is Good!

mley1

Sounds good. My gut feeling was that I should hit the buy button. I think I'll pull the line off, clean her up good, lube and service the reel. Then put her on a rod and fish with her. For my 114H I have 100lb braid with a short 80-100lb leader with an 12-18 inch steel leader for sharks from the boat. I think with this reel I'm gonna load it with 100lb braid and maybe 150-200yrds of 80lb mono, and a short 100lb leader with the 12-18in wire. I'm gonna put her on an 8' heavy action Ugly Stick, and fish her from the beach.

I've fished around the gulf coast in the Galveston, TX area since 1982, and I've never seen a Penn like this. There's lots of other 114's and 113's around here, but I've never seen a 114 like this one. Pretty cool.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Shark Hunter

They made those in an aluminum half frame version as well. I have a few. Great Reels.
Some are double dogged, with Black Pearl gears and handle upgrades.

Life is Good!

mley1

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 07, 2017, 03:41:59 PM
They made those in an aluminum half frame version as well. I have a few. Great Reels.
Some are double dogged, with Black Pearl gears and handle upgrades.

Sweet reels you have there Shark Hunter! I may end up with some upgrades on this one too. Upgrading reels is addictive. And lots of fun!
Good luck fishing,

Marty

coastal_dan

I bought the 1st of the 2 he had.  I have a whole row of new parts for her.  We did good 😊

These are listed in my 2004 catalog, not sure of other years...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mley1

Quote from: coastal_dan on January 08, 2017, 04:08:32 AM
I bought the 1st of the 2 he had.  I have a whole row of new parts for her.  We did good 😊

These are listed in my 2004 catalog, not sure of other years...

I was wondering who got the other one. Looks like we scored a couple of good reels. What upgrades are you planning to do?
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Gfish

Got one Darron turned me onto 'bout 2 mon. ago. With shipping I think it was about $80 from the "Big auction" site. Mine's probably a step down from yours when comes to the frame, it's a 1/2 frame with a ss post at the lugs. Hada ss pinion n' brass main, 5 c-tex drag washers, lotsa 60 lb. mono. and was in great workin shape. I really like it. It's like steppin over the line to a small, but true "big game" reel. A definite step up from the mid-80's 114HL with the alum. cross-bars and old style ss seat I already had. Wasn't gonna change anything, but once I opened 'er up couldn't resist double doggen. Much better with alternating dogs.
Keep us updated!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mley1

I've read a lot on here about double dogging these reels. I understand the basic procedure I think. I'm reluctant to try it on my own though. I have a dremel tool, but my hand isn't that steady with it. I'm afraid of destroying the sideplate trying.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

mley1

Did Penn make a 113 series with the full aluminum frame? If they did, I'm gonna be on the hunt for one.
Good luck fishing,

Marty

Gfish

If ya haven't already seen it, there's a post by Sal on D. Doggin a 114H, about 4 subject posts up from this on page 2 a the main Senator tutorial index.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

Quote from: mley1 on January 08, 2017, 06:13:23 AM
Did Penn make a 113 series with the full aluminum frame? If they did, I'm gonna be on the hunt for one.
I've never seen one. Nothing listed in the catalogs or parts lists. That's probably why there are so many Accurate & Tiburon frames around.    Rudy

mley1

Quote from: RowdyW on January 08, 2017, 06:33:29 AM
Quote from: mley1 on January 08, 2017, 06:13:23 AM
I've never seen one. Nothing listed in the catalogs or parts lists. That's probably why there are so many Accurate & Tiburon frames around.    Rudy

I hadn't ever seen one either. The 114HLW was a surprise for me. Initially, I thought wow. Some guy must've taken a couple Accurate or Tiburon frames, modified them with Penn tags, and slapped it together. Then I saw in the pictures the Penn tag clearly stated it was an aluminum frame. I watched it for a while, as he had two of them. Then, one got sold. I had to hit the buy it now button. At some point I may add some upgrades, like the drags, handle.....etc. I got this reel as my birthday present reel, the wife so graciously allowed me to buy. I'll have to wait a little while before I go to buying any upgrades.(Honey, if you read this, THANK YOU for my birthday present! I LOVE you!)
Good luck fishing,

Marty