Stradic 3000fj noise

Started by Mkling, January 09, 2017, 06:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mkling

New guy here. Hopefully posting in the proper place.
Off season for me so I'm going through some of my reels.
I went through 2 of my Stradic 3000fj reels. These are my favorite go to reels. I'm comfortable  tearing down and reassembling  these reels (thanks to this site) so I completely took them apart total clean re lube and grease. All original bearings still.
They seem to work properly and smooth but I'm getting noise from both of them. It's not crazy but hoping I could have them running a little better. It's like a dry sound whirring sound. Like something needs lube. Tried tearing down a couple more times and even over lubed one it won't go away.
Trying to take parts out and find where it comes fromand  it seems like it's the worm shaft area on them both and not a bearing. What would cause a dry sound in this area? Everything is lubed. Light grease on the worm gear.  I did not take the pawl thingy apart but did put a drop of oil there and it seems good. Anyone here have a lot of experience with these reels have an idea? Bushings for the worm gear are lubed.
Tempted to throw all new bearings at them but don't really want to drop the money in it if not needed. Maybe try just the top pinion bearing. They spin good I think but this is the only other thing I suspect. ill probablly fish them as they are unless someone has an idea I should try.
Thanks for any help.

foakes

Welcome, Mkling --

If, after your disassemble, cleaning, reassemble, lube & tune -- a hollow sound to me would indicate bearings.

Might try one set -- see if that works -- you will either be closer to the problem solution -- or maybe cured it.

Either way -- you will know for sure.

You are likely using good Marine grease possibly mixed in with some 321?

I drop my bearings in 321 after removing the shields -- let it soak for awhile -- remove, add Yamaha Marine grease -- and if that doesn't cure it - bearings are necessary.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Mkling

Maybe I need to go back through them and open up all the bearings. They felt ok so I put a drop of oil outside the shields is all.  I opened one bearing that I thought possibly wasn't running good. Pulled shields off and sprayed it out with CLP break free. Then used a drop of reel butter bearing oil on each side. It didn't appear to be packed with any grease when I opened it, just some oil so I wasn't sure what to do. It felt good after doing this.
I'll do some reading here on opening cleaning  and relubing the bearings. Maybe try this before buying a new set.
This type of bearing should be packed with a marine grease? Like same stuff You would use on boat trailer wheel bearings?
thanks for the help.

Midway Tommy

Yamaha Marine Grease is is one of the better quality reel greases, especially in salt water. Penn blue is good, too. Greased bearings in spinners will slow oscillation down a little, but there is nothing that a spinning reel does that requires long free-wheeling oscillation other than impress the person spinning the crank, especially since the bail is open when casting. It may give cranking a little more resistance on an empty retrieve but the advantages of a greased bearing with a fish on more than justifies it's usage. It can also make a big difference in brake & drag functionality if the drag works off the pinion rather than the main shaft/spool.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Mkling

Gotchya. Looks like I should have read through the lubrication section here earlier. I'm almost out of my ardent reel butter grease so I'll pick up some of the Yamaha marine grease and try it on the bearings.

Wolli

most times the noise is coming from the bearing on top of the pinion (RD13374). Dimensions 7x14x5mm
The bushing (RD6493) can be replaced with bearing 3x6x2.5mm. Additional same bearing can be placed on the tip of the worm shaft! But don`t forget to shorten the worm bushing (RD12591) by 2.5mm.

Sounds like same with a Stradic i had last week for service. Now running better than new....

Best
Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Mkling

Thank you Wolli. I like the idea of doing bearings on the worm shaft too.  Do you happen to have the dimensions for the other bearings as well? would save me from taking it apart again and measuring them.
I went through the reel last night and cleaned and greased the bearings just like Alan's tutorial shows. Still getting the noise. It's tolerable for fishing but since it's off season, I might keep messing with it and try new bearings. I suspect that top pinion bearing possibly but still seems like it's by the worm gear or idle gear.

Looking around at bearings to purchase- where do you guys recommend for bearings for this thing? I see boca bearings has a set. Kinda pricy but maybe that's the way to go. Vxb is cheap but it doesn't say stainless.
Appreciate all the help.

handi2

Its the bearings and 90% of the time its the pinion bearing as stated. I change them as a regular service. The bearing size has been listed. 7x14x5 in those reels and 7x13x4 on the main gear. It will have a 7x11x3 or 7x13x4 on the right side of the main gear.

If it makes noise when fishing its the line roller bearing. 4x7x2.5
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wolli

..... and last the pinion bottom bearing 6x10x3 mm

The felt drag washers should be replaced with cf washers before they look like....
two 14x21x0.5 mm
one 12x21x05 mm
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

alantani

Bearings or gears.  If you replace the gears, replace them as a set, not one at a time.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: Wolli on January 10, 2017, 10:00:27 PM

The felt drag washers should be replaced with cf washers before they look like....
two 14x21x0.5 mm
one 12x21x05 mm

Does Smooth Drag have these?  I just serviced 14 of these nice little spinners and had to put felt back in them.  Did 2 3000F reels too and drags are not the same.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

exp2000

Quote from: Mkling on January 09, 2017, 08:29:20 PM
Gotchya. Looks like I should have read through the lubrication section here earlier. I'm almost out of my ardent reel butter grease so I'll pick up some of the Yamaha marine grease and try it on the bearings.

Yeah mate. Don't use marine grease on a reel this small. It will just bog down the gears and moving parts and make the damned thing as stiff as an ironing board even if you thin it down.

Use the genuine Shimano products: ACE2 grease for parts and Permalube for bearings. These greases are much lighter than marine grease and will result in optimal performance for a reel this size.
~

exp2000

Quote from: Keta on January 11, 2017, 12:49:57 AM

two 14x21x0.5 mm
one 12x21x05 mm

Does Smooth Drag have these?  I just serviced 14 of these nice little spinners and had to put felt back in them.  Did 2 3000F reels too and drags are not the same.

Set #10301 for 3000FJ
~

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

exp2000

Quote from: Keta on January 11, 2017, 12:49:57 AM

two 14x21x0.5 mm
one 12x21x05 mm

How is it you ended up with 14 of these to service?
~