Change color of Hypalon Aftco Reel Seat/Pole Butt. Done!

Started by otghoyt, January 11, 2017, 12:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

HELP

I don no nottin bout dis mon...... Bought myself a super nice, used, Cal Star rod, mid-weighted at a hundred pounds.  Aftco rollers and huge Aftco butt.  This is the finest big rod I've ever owned.  Paid a buck and a half and I am ten kinds of happy.  I think the rollers go for that retail.  Here's the rub...all of the rod wrapping colors are black, red, white.  The huge Aftco butt section is Hypalon gripped in bright blue.  Bright, swimming  pool  blue!

My question is... How do I change the color of the Hypalon to a nice simple black?  Is there some kind of shoe polish doo-do that can permanently change my light uck blue to black?   How bigga deal is it to cut and paste R&R? Or do I get to learn to like it?

H

thorhammer

Hoyt, upholstery spray from auto store works pretty well and dirt cheap to re spray  if needed.

STRIPER LOU

Hoyt, would you consider any of the shrink wrap for rods that's available.
...............Lou

otghoyt

Thorhammer....That's a good one,  I used that stuff before on car seats and headliners and it did an OK job. It's a possibility.  I would try it unless something foolproof comes along.

Yeah, Lou I did, because most of my rods are "deck hand" style and I have that covering all kinds of cracked cork butt wrap. I even wrapped some cord knot designs and then shrink wrap it.  But thanks for the suggestion.  that's my kinda thinkin.

thorhammer

Yeah I'd heat shrink if that was an option.

steelfish

i dont have any experiences on this same topic

but I would look for some leather acrilic paints, shoe paints, I know there are some fabric tint (Rit dye tint) on which you boil water, add the tint and then put your desire clothe in there, after few minutes your shirt/pant has new permanent color.
I would boil the water, add the tint and pour it on the blue EVA handles, just cover with tape anything close to the EVA grips to avoid having the tint running on another sections.
this works with fabric but not sure on EVA grips, dont reach me if after every fishing trip your hands, new fishing shirt, etc is cover with black tint from the painting job  ;D

The Baja Guy

otghoyt

You know Steelfish,  I have seen some true cobbler workmanship and those guys can do some amazing things.  I 'will do some homework on that EVA product and find out just what kind of co-polymer plastic that stuff is made out of.  Then I'll see if it is compatible with colorants that are available.

Who knows about the R&R of that stuff?

Maybe shrink wrap flocking? Hmmm~

Swami805

If it's a calstar it's more likely to be hypalon than eva. Hypalon is soft and spongy eva is hard.Might make a difference in coloring. Shrink tube would be the way to go. Comes in 3' sections so might as well do both grips. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

PacRat

one of my rods rotted in the garage so I used shrink wrap on the foregrip and replaced the EVA on the butt...better than new now.
-Mike

otghoyt

Swami105:  Although it is a custom job, that describes exactly what is there.  The wrapper called himself Rusty Hook and he used the best products IMO but only double wrapped the guides on a power rod.  Makes sense for hundred and fifty bucks

Mike...after further investigation I would agree with your fix.  The fore-grip (gun speak) is  nearly impossible to replace because you can't get it over the reel seat screw clamp.  The only way that went on is before the blank was set. So absolutely yes to the shrink flocking fore grip.

I can mess around with the rearmost portion and if I make it FUBAR, I can cut it off and go with new BLACK replacement.

I think that's the answer.  It makes the best sense for bucks, do-ability and outcome.  Done deal!

I'll leave the thread laying around for a week or so to share the knowledge and just in case something ingenious pops up.  I'll throw in a before and after too.

Thanks guys,

Hoyt

Swami805

That sure looks like hypalon. Here's a picture of Eva and hypalon. The short one is Eva  hypalon is a little heavier and soft when you squeeze it ,Eva is lighter and pretty hard. Neither is better than the other just different. Just thought I'd point it out in case you ordered it you'd get what you needed.
$150 for that rod is a steal. Top of the line aftco components alone would cost more than that. Double wrapped guides should hold up fine. Hope you hang a couple good ones on it. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

otghoyt

Yeah, I couldn't shake that mans hand fast enough.  Here, take my money.  

I didn't order it to my specifications but the name of the man that did is boldly written on the pole and I do not care!  The CalStar is a number 7469H which is a blank number I had heard about here on ATs site as being a quality stick.  I am super stoked.  

I'm modding a beast of a 6/0 114HL which started life as a seven screw post model but when it's finished it'll be a lifetime rig and maybe a cherished hand me down to my son.  But make no mistake I am going to try as hard as I can to wear that sukah plumb out in my time.

thorhammer

Yeah, you got over a bill easy just in Aftco bits, based on the Crudhole rag I just received, another bill at least on the blank, then the build labor. Good score. Cross fleck, he your friend on this one, rather than the spray.   

swill88

Great info here... Thanks Hoyt and all.

Steve

droppedit

Like everyone has said, the fore grip is there unless you remove the guides. Heat shrink is a good fix but there are different sizes of cold shrink. I've used cold shrink with good results on a rear grip of my jigging rod and fore grips for rail rods. 3M makes it and it is in many different sizes but the main thing is to measure the rings and hood of the seat to make sure it will slide over. I'd remove the rear grip and use the cold shrink or go with a slick butt. Just a thought and hope all works out for you.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com