Change color of Hypalon Aftco Reel Seat/Pole Butt. Done!

Started by otghoyt, January 11, 2017, 12:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

Thank you, thank you. I will buy the kit in the next month or so as money will allow.  The reel for this rod is kinda sucking my wallet dry right now.  I had to buy a stainless gear-set and yoke because the Motive Drag Insert I put in it, blew the bronze bushing out of my Penn steel main.   

I'm going to live with the shrink wrap for this season.  I will do the flocking procedure after the season is over.  Fishing last year was total crazy time, I hope this coming Tuna season will allow me to land a 60-80 BFT, YFT maybe a nice Albi if the water temp cools off. Gotta get me a harness too. It's only money. H~

Post script....
I was reminded that my previous statement about blowing out the bronze bushing was not possible with the drag exerting pressure from both sides. Under pressure the reel made and awful sound and locked the main to the gear sleeve.   It had spun the bushing within the main with pieces still attached to the main and larger chunks floating around the gear sleeve causing the stoppage.   

otghoyt

This is the end of "Change Hyplaon Grip Color" series.   I went down a road or two trying to do this as right as my limited budget will allow and I'll share them with you.  
My solution, as many of you suggested, was to obtain "X Flocked Shrink Tubing" and re-cover the fore-end of the Aftco reel seat.  I sealed the ends of the shrink tubing with a couple coats of clear fingernail polish.  I did a good job of lining up the Xs with the guides and the whole job looks great.  As for strength....I have used a fair amount of this X flocked shrink tubing on my other lighter rods and it is made thicker in the larger diameters.  The 1 1/2 inch diameter material mics out at .056 and the 2 3/8 inch (40mm) material mics at .076.  

The rear, Butt portion of the of the pole was a complete R&R of the Hypalpn Grip and it turned out looking like a pro install.  The learning curve was "grasp as you go" because I didn't have a clue other than order a meter of replacement material.  The glue the  pole builders use for this procedure is quite permanent.  It needed all kinds of chemical and mechanical persuasion to get the pole cleaned off and ready for the new Hypalon.  I used 100% silicone for glue and alcohol for clean-up and I sanded the ends for a proper "rolled and tapered edge" finish.  

Honorable mention needs to go to a coloring product.  It is called "Angelus Flat Black Acrylic Leather Paint."   Steelfish put me on to this idea and it gets my official 99%, good enough, okay-dokey.   If I was in a pinch for time and/or money this product would have gotten the job done.  The salt water wash and scrub test was absolutely acceptable for the newly colored Hypalon. Costs 6 bucks on e bay.

Finally;  I will proudly use this pole as finished to this point and thank you all very much.  After this year's Tuna fishing season, I will most likely sand and prep all the Hypalon and do the entire foam Flocking process as brought to us by contributor "The Great Maudu".  I will do some strength testing of the Foam Flocking before I completely ruin this rod.  I will also install the industrial, "double wall & glued", shrink tubing for the aft section after sanding the existing Hypalon.

Thanks to all,

H~

Bill B

That's a pro job Hoyt....I'd fish that all day and twice on Sunday  ;D. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

otghoyt

Well thank you for those kind words.  And they'll do as encouragement when I get to the follow up edition as well.  It's a healthy blow to one's ego to admit you're cheap but when you come up with something like this it's easier to admit and accept one's thrifty nature.  

I am waiting on a few reel pieces to finish her off.  I have been after Adam @ Motive to finish making some offset arms for the 114H and I have a nice lightweight 18 degree offset handle to go on that offset arm. That ought to make life a little easier.

I am still after the fighting harness and pieces that make stand-up fighting easier on my busted back.  I was wondering why this Aftco reel seat and butt section were so friggin huge and it makes all the sense in the world when you see how it sits in the Aftco fighting harness.  The gimbal piece locks into the designed receptacle below your huevos.  

Yanking hard on something that's yanking back with the fulcrum just below your twins, now that's got to be an interesting arrangement. I can hardly wait......

H~