A few Thorhammer's I worked on while iced in....Nick, spoiler alert!

Started by thorhammer, January 11, 2017, 02:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Finished off Nick's black and gold spinner for his 10500SSV and got it in the mail for Thursday delivery. He will also use it with a 650LL on his kayak, so I went with heat shrink over cord wrap and it's very grippy. Oversize HD Fuji guides for durability and 50-30-20-16-16-16 sequence for long casts with a jig or popper, fast action tip will sling a 2 oz lure or a live bait but transitions quickly into some meat down low. Thanks to Nick for letting me post; he has promised fish pics on it so let's hold him to that!

Also did some work on my favorite honey Lami that needed rewrapping; 50% heavier on the guide thread than I would prefer, but I had to cover scars from the original smith's work from over 20 years ago (I've had since 1995). This is a specialized build from my home neck of the woods dating back at least 40 years; I detailed that scenario Nov 15. It will get one of my 402's, a personal favorite and also of Aiala.

Last is a 6'2" 50 SU build mostly of repurposed stuff I had laying around....due to my recent 4/0  / Jiggy binge, I found myself at a deficit of 30lb and 50 lb sticks so I decided to bang out stuff from parts. This one has a twin coming, and about ten after that to match the amazing custom builds housed in the great reel bag Alan gave me.  

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Nice work. Love the old Lamis, don't see many out here. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

Beautiful work John! I love the Lami's too. Back in my teen days they were the go too blanks we used for our surf rods.
.................Lou

thorhammer

Thanks, gents.

Lou, I have them all the way to 13'8" one piece... I'm 250, but that one will work you throwing plugs and retrieving 130 yds into current all day. I love them; when I get back up to the cabin, they will get a family photo.

The 13'8" with a 488 is a real Daron-sized rig. 

thorhammer

Hey Lou, that popper pic is for you...25 yrs ago I whittled some out of pine and poplar dowels, hand sanded, cupped face with dremel, drilled out rear and poured in an ounce of lead to weight (these babies will sling close to a hundo on the long rod, you just have to get them moving quickly). That particular color is a candy neon I got by a three coat layering on white base, fluoro orang, and fluoro pink top mist. It was the closest thing out there to the Cordell Redfin color which was hot for us on stripes at that time, but casts a lot further obviously. Glad I nabbed a bunch of the Redfin's.

STRIPER LOU

Hey John, great popper and love the loonnnnnng lami's! I've got a bunch in the basement rafters and I honestly hope to refurb them someday.

I don't remember the blank # but I have quite a few live bait rods that were trimmed slightly form each end. I think the originally started out as 9 footers. Got a 12 or 2 but I think that's it.

Keep up the great work bud!

Speaking of work, I'm on the JH knobs at the moment!

Later,  ..  Lou

steelfish

excellent work amigo John

really liked the epoxy ramp "bubble thingy" you did on the black/gold theme rod, looks pretty unique

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

First time for that, just found a material a few weeks back. I really like it and matches the Trimar thread.

ReelFishingProblems

I keep scrolling past the pictures without looking to read the thread, self-imposed punishment to leave it a surprise. Better than Christmas presents I tell you. Thanks John for doing this. Looking forward to your next trip down here.

Nick

thorhammer

Newell Nut