Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Whoa momma! Great reel Jeff! That thing is what many say is the baddest spinning reel ever. I get chills lookin' at it. :o
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: mo65 on March 28, 2019, 12:59:35 AM
[color=maroon  That thing is what many say is the baddest spinning reel ever. I get chills lookin' at it. :o[/color]

SShhhhhhhhhhhhh     :D

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Just scored this reel, which is my first DAM, off the big auction site.  I noticed that prices were rising, so jumped on one while the getting was still decent.   I took a long hiatus from fishing, but have recently acquired another Ocean Star No. 36, an Ocean City 320, and now this DAM Quick Super.  Only vintage for this guy.

Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

foakes

Looks good, FF —

Looking forward to seeing the 270 all serviced and ready to roll.

It just needs a full disassemble, cleaning and burnishing of all parts, reassemble with modern synthetic grease and oil.

There is a rubber bail bumper and spring missing — if you want one, PM me your full mailing information — and I will send out a new set at N/C.

Welcome home!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

You will like that 270. It's biggest short coming according to some is it's weight. Some also find it's ergonomics & over all feel when cranking unique. Beyond that my personal thoughts on this reel are best described by stating I very likely own more of these than any one on this planet. To say just how many would have some questioning my mental status... which I readily admit is at best questionable.

These reels will live an extremely happy life used with 50 line & appropriate drag. After a good service & every thing in it's proper working order I can say with great conviction

YOU WILL NOT WEAR THIS REAL OUT IN YOUR LIFE TIME! Need parts or have issues just holler. Between Fred & myself along with others here you should be covered very well... Jeff

philaroman

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 30, 2019, 04:51:48 PM
I very likely own more of these than any one on this planet. To say just how many would have some questioning my mental status... which I readily admit is at best questionable... Jeff

nonsense...  how often do you find something you truly like; both, useful & collectible; AND grossly undervalued...  go ahead & corner the market

Alto Mare

Quote from: philaroman on March 30, 2019, 05:42:22 PM
I very likely own more of these than any one on this planet. To say just how many would have some questioning my mental status... which I readily admit is at best questionable... Jeff

nonsense...  how often do you find something you truly like; both, useful & collectible; AND grossly undervalued...  go ahead & corner the market
I agree and really like them, but they are not flawless.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Quote from: philaroman on March 30, 2019, 05:42:22 PM

That is why I have so many. No they are not with out fault no reel is. In my mind they are very capable reels for the river & make great reels for clients & kids. To such an extent nothing made today compares on a couple of different levels. I really have no desire to corner any market. Dont really consider myself a collector. Just like having plenty of useful tools for my enjoyment & enough to share with others... Jeff

foakes

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 30, 2019, 05:50:31 PM
I agree and really like them, but they are not flawless.

Sal

All true, Sal —

However, my thought and experience is that every reel is not perfect — or without a flaw or two.

And although there are a few of these vintage reels that seem really good — anyone can find a few issues.  And some of these possible shortcomings may be real — or just personal preferences based on opinion and usage.

The spinning reels that I consider the best of the vintage herd — that are still capable and very decent today — would include Penn, Mitchell, DAM Quick, ABU & Zebco Cardinals, plus a few other similar brands.

I only know of one spinning reel in the world that seems perfect — and I am sure that if I looked hard enough — I could find a couple of issues that could use improving.

But if it catches fish with competence, strong functions, repeatable reliability, and my confidence in it — I don't need to look any deeper.  

Plus, there needs to be a balanced approach between reliability, quality, acquisition cost, and how and what species we intend to fish for.

IMO...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

Fred...don't be leaving us a cliffhanger! What's your perfect one? Mine would be original Slammer. It eliminated SS flaws and still didnt break  the bank. There are great spinners out today, but once we pay over $300 I insist on being in marlin / large tuna land. NO WAY am I paying a grand for a spinning reel that I wont find parts for in three years...talk to the hand, Stella, I dont wanna dance...this ATD 80 is prettier than you :)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: thorhammer on March 31, 2019, 02:25:14 AM
Fred...don't be leaving us a cliffhanger! What's your perfect one?

I'm betting he says ABU Suveran
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

X2   ...but "no UL / too few size options" might be considered a flaw, so throw in a 1001 & 5001

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Foakes, Rivverat, thank you gentleman very much for your help!  This will be the first DAM reel that I'll have ever held, much less serviced, so I look forward to learning from you all. 

As far as ergonomics go, I have a love affair with the Ocean Star 36s, so big goofy ergonomics don't bother me a bit.  In fact I just picked up an Ocean City 320 that needs an overhaul, just because of how big that spool is.  Reminds me of a flying saucer with a crank handle, lol.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

thorhammer

You-re in the right place, Fred , Sal and some others really do a nice job on  the Supers. i wasn't really warm to them until I saw the job these guys results. As it happens, i have one delivering tomorrow :)