Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nagant

This reel has been fun for me.  Great for what i thought i bought it for,Catfish. But it's also got me long cast fishing 3-way rigs for walleye and saugers, covering X3 the water i did in one cast :). I can fish below dams where boats cant get that close. Will be a fun experiment. Have a 440 too but haven't played with it since i got this on a rod.
Brice

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

That's awesome Thor!  Is this your fist Super, too?  I'm glad to know that I'm not the only just getting into these reels.  For some reason I'd always thought that the Super was a small reel and passed them by on the big auction site.  It was that trout on the side that made me think "small freshwater reel." 

Don't get me wrong, small reels are great, but I've got my heart set on acquiring a collection of the big surf reels from the golden years. 
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

festus

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on March 31, 2019, 09:27:32 PM
For some reason I'd always thought that the Super was a small reel and passed them by on the big auction site.  It was that trout on the side that made me think "small freshwater reel." 
The D-A-M Quick 265 is a microlite reel, built very similar as a miniature Super 270.

If you don't have the D-A-M Quick 550 and the 550N, you might want to look for those too, approximately the same size as the 270.

Rivverrat

Not a bother to me on some reels but so you know the 550's have plastic spools... Jeff 

thorhammer

First Super, yes. I've a line of other Quicks. Bail trip not working as advertised. Well, I know a guy in California and one in Philly what can  help me on that one :)

Alto Mare

In my opinion the 550 is a much more capable reel than the 270, again... my opinion🙂.

Sal

Shouldn't really say much more capable, both are similar.
The reel foot on the 550 is one piece, to me this makes it a tougher reel.
Both are great to own and I do recommend them.
I have a few myself:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23818.msg264997#msg264997
Well actually that pic is old, I might have a couple of dozen more by now.
I think I also have a half dozen of 275's.
Great reels!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Beautiful collection, sir.  Have you fished both the 270 and the 550?  Which one felt more robust when engaged with fish?  I like large, torquey reels, and am always looking for vintage surf reels that fit that bill.
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of wise men. Instead, seek what they sought. -Matsuo Basho

Alto Mare

Quote from: FlipFlopRepairShoppe on April 01, 2019, 03:04:27 AM
Beautiful collection, sir.  Have you fished both the 270 and the 550?  Which one felt more robust when engaged with fish?  I like large, torquey reels, and am always looking for vintage surf reels that fit that bill.
No Sir, you could just call me Sal :).
As mentioned above, the two reels are very close and to me they feel the same. The 270 is about 2 oz lighter when compared with the same type spool, but not even worth mentioning.
Both are great reels, I like the 550 a little more, because of the one-piece reel foot and the handle arm is also better to me.
The 270 looks much better in appearance, but these are fishing reels.
Now, when comparing to the 275, I think that one is hard to beat...just a personal preference, you couldn't go wrong with any Dam/Quick vintage reels.

Quote from: Rivverrat on March 31, 2019, 10:44:53 PM
Not a bother to me on some reels but so you know the 550's have plastic spools... Jeff 
Jeff, the plastic spool would also not bother me, but if you need to have the metal spool, just borrow one from the 270.

No more questions directed to me on these, I've opened a couple of dozen, while Fred has done thousands.

Fred (Foakes) would be your guy to go to, with questions and anything else.

I do have a few hard to get parts on later models, not many, but will keep an eye if someone needs something., but again, with Fred here, he pretty much has it covered.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FlipFlopRepairShoppe

Absolutely,Sal.  When I find a good deal on a 550 I'll have to pick one up so I can feel the difference for myself.  I look good fighting reels. They don't have to be pretty, and they all have their own points that are charming.

Rivverrat

Microlite that will be rebuilt & placed on a custom rod I'm building for customer.

The new owner of Anglers Bait & Tackle in Englewood, Ohio is supposed to get back with me  & will hopefully have some more history on this reel. They've been in business for 70 years... Jeff

foakes

In the 60's, the U.S. distributors would give the owners of tackle shops engraved Quick's if they ordered a certain number of DQ reels in a given period of time..

Smart marketing.

When the tackle shop Owners and Managers would show these to their customers and friends while either in the shop, or on the water — many folks figured rightly that if Gary or Skeeter were using these reels — they must be good.

I may have 3 or 4 of these that have engraved names.

One is "Skeeter Maxwell" on a 265 Microlite, one is "Gary Alcorn" on a 270 Super, another is a Sporting Goods Store on a 285 Finessa — it is somewhere in a stash of around (75) 280's and 285's that I will restore at some point.

Any of us can do this to our own reels — just by going to a good local trophy shop — might cost $10 or $15.

If you are ever going to resell or get rid of the reels — the value is diminished.  But some folks like their name on stuff — kind of cool history of a day long gone...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Good find, Jeff.  I saw that one on ebay a few days ago and wondered where the bait shop engraved on the side was located.

Rivverrat

Thanks for that Fred. In my mind the bait shop name increases the value or desirability at least for me & some others. As far as individual name not so much. Unless of course it's Adolf H.... or Babe Ruth.

foakes

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 05, 2019, 05:50:42 PM
Thanks for that Fred. In my mind the bait shop name increases the value or desirability at least for me & some others. As far as individual name not so much. Unless of course it's Adolf H.... or Babe Ruth.

I agree, Jeff —

Anglers names and Driver's License numbers scratched or etched on reels does hurt resale value (which I am never concerned about anyway) — but it does impact the value to collectors.

Famous names, or names that have historical or personal signifigance (at least to me) — are good.

Gary Alcorn was a very good and close friend of mine.  Passed on 12 years ago.

Gary went to Fresno State on a Basketball Scholarship — was drafted by the Detroit Pistons in '59, then played for the LA Lakers until '61.

Blew out a knee — came back home to Fresno, and started one of the top quality Sporting Goods stores ever in this area.  Specialized in fishing and hunting equipment for serious outdoorsmen.

As for "Skeeter Maxwell" — mystery to me — but a cool name that I left intact when restoring this old 1960 265 Microlite.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Wow...never saw those engraved names before...I'm always learning around here. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~