Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

For my personal Quick reels I'll take them with what ever names on them. Doesnt bother me in the least. Just adds or gives a certain character to individual reels.  I have no desire to sell these reels. But having enough of these Quick reels to match to a rod I'm building for people who request them means a lot to me & fellas that get my rods. 

I love seeing the pics I get sent & people smiling with their catch using my rods with these old reels. This is the first Microlite reel I've had in my hands. I would be keeping it had it not been going
  on a rod I'm building... Jeff

Rivverrat

220N & 550N I got for really cheap. My first 220 size Quick also my first 550. They both are my first N models... Jeff

festus

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 05, 2019, 10:49:30 PM
220N & 550N I got for really cheap. My first 220 size Quick also my first 550. They both are my first N models... Jeff
Nice reels.  At first I didn't like the N models because of their plastic click ratchet wheels.  Either my first reel's click ratchet had meted or been subject to a solvent that disfigured it.  But the N series seem smoother than their predecessors, especially the 110N. 

Rivverrat

Festus, I'm still with holding my thoughts on them until I fish them a bit. The 220 is a very nice size. The 550N I really want to get a 550 to compare it with. Both of these reels crank fine but other wise are not fishable in there present state... Jeff

festus

Quote from: Rivverrat on April 06, 2019, 03:55:33 AM
Festus, I'm still with holding my thoughts on them until I fish them a bit. The 220 is a very nice size. The 550N I really want to get a 550 to compare it with. Both of these reels crank fine but other wise are not fishable in there present state... Jeff
When you take them apart, you'll notice a big difference between the anti-reverse and bail trip assemblies than the prior models.  Also the pinion bearing isn't as robust.  The 220 and 550 are probably better built reels than the 220N and the 550N, but I still like the N models just as well..

Rivverrat

The smaller pinion bearing depending on how much smaller might not bother. The bail trip I think is an improvement.

Now the difference between the two anti reverse designs on the N's & prior models will start fires among some who like these Quick reels.

I have my thoughts as to which is the stronger design of the two.
I'm thinking only a test to destruction will settle this... I'm thinking of doing something of this nature this summer with video.

I would find it hard to believe the makers / designers of these reels didn't do this. Just based on the history of  DAM Quick's progression in their design & philosophy of building reels...Jeff

Rivverrat

Dont really understand why. Their history is maybe part of it.

There shape ?  Maybe performance ? No they are little heavy & dont out perform other Quick models in any huge way.
The stem & foot is bent on a lot of the ones I've seen & purchased. But in most cases an easy fix.
They are found a lot of times with missing or mismatched / wrong parts.

But yet when I open one up & look inside I'm a happy fella. Almost at the level I feel when fishing one.  I very simply, with no great reason just like them... Jeff

Crow

What's the approximate age of that one ?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

Thanks Tommy !  I know that there is a way to nail it down close but I dont know the way. If memory serves they quit making these in 57 ?

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Rivverrat

Finally !!! Nirvanna at last.

basto

Very nice indeed! Looks new.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Holey Buckets Jeff...you're killin' me...that one is so on my list!

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Quote from: basto on July 22, 2019, 09:46:24 PM
Very nice indeed! Looks new.
Greg

Never had line on it. Outside the retail store I'm only the second person to touch it.

I'll not be a wharehouse for others when I'm  gone.
So unless some one offers me a stupid price for it I plan on fishing it... Jeff