Dam Quick , as you find them

Started by theswimmer, January 26, 2017, 05:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 22, 2019, 10:24:44 PM
Quote from: basto on July 22, 2019, 09:46:24 PM
Very nice indeed! Looks new.
Greg

Never had line on it. Outs0ide the retail store I'm only the second person to touch it.

I'll not be a wharehouse for others when I'm  gone.
So unless some one offers me a stupid price for it I plan on fishing it... Jeff
Do tell us more about the reel ,not familiar with that model number.   Where was it made , new model ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

The 1401 in my mind had it's beginning with the Quick Finessa. The 01 series going up to the 5001 are my favorite series of DAM Quick Reels. One improvement that sets these later models apart from the earlier ones & Fred has made mention of, is the improved drag. Quick was also ahead of other reel makers of this era in that they had drag discs on top & bottom of the spool.

The drag washer on the bottom are of a quality mix of cork & something else I'm not sure of. This bottom washer is found in many cases to still be serviceable today. The drag washer on top was a felt type weave made of asbestos. This drag arrangement works as well as any out there today & may in fact deal with heat build up much better. Now the main frame is cast & you can look at the progression over time of quick reels & the 1401 - 5001 generally have better cast frames.  

The models with the 02 designation are fine reels also but they have that dreaded graphite spool.

Over all I like American made stuff when I'm able. But I also enjoy quality from yesteryear regardless of where it comes from.

For reasons known among most here I dont like talking much about these reels. I'll eventually get over this. But there are still a few I would like to have. Talk here seems to have an effect on the price. Which isn't a benefit to those of us who use them & others who like to collect them for the same reasons as my self but arent flush with cash.

So don't get bent out of shape if my ornery, mischievous side comes out & I reply to a post stateng & say how bad these reels really are ;D ...Jeff

oc1

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 23, 2019, 02:40:00 AM
Talk here seems to have an effect on the price.

No kiddin' Jeff.  It seems that both the other buyers as well as the sellers are influenced by AT.  When we talk about something they start coming out of the woodwork at the auction, but at a higher price than before.  Auction sellers are a lot more savvy than I would have imagined.  They may just be watching how well items sell rather than reading AT though.

-steve

thorhammer

tru dis....no one much paid attention at all to Heddon's a couple years ago. Looky now.

mo65

Quote from: thorhammer on July 23, 2019, 03:01:35 PM
tru dis....no one much paid attention at all to Heddon's a couple years ago. Looky now.

It's like this with any collectible when supply of all the first round choices disappear. Nobody wanted a 70s Stratocaster until all the 60s models had been horded up. Same thing with cars, now an '79 camero is as desirable as a '69. With supply of Penn greenies drying up folks gotta go somewhere...I love it...finally some respect for Heddon! I don't think my posts have much effect on sales. I mentioned how great the South Bend Classics were a while back, but they are still listing for peanuts. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on July 23, 2019, 05:01:53 PM
I mentioned how great the South Bend Classics were a while back, but they are still listing for peanuts. :-\ [/color]

I heard you Mo!  ;D ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Midway Tommy

Other than a select few models I think it has a lot more to do with the auction site watchers more than it does the impact of AT visitors. When reels are selling at good prices sellers are listing and spur of the moment buyers are buying. Prices, other than those "select few" fluctuate all the time, and smart money waits until the prices go back down rather than buying a spur of the moment fad, at least I do, anyway. There will always be another great reel show up at some point. I've witnessed it many times. Patience is the key to great price and reel finds.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 23, 2019, 05:18:59 PM
Other than a select few models I think it has a lot more to do with the auction site watchers more than it does the impact of AT visitors. When reels are selling at good prices sellers are listing and spur of the moment buyers are buying. Prices, other than those "select few" fluctuate all the time, and smart money waits until the prices go back down rather than buying a spur of the moment fad, at least I do, anyway. There will always be another great reel show up at some point. I've witnessed it many times. Patience is the key to great price and reel finds.  ;)
I agree with you , i am a very patience man also .  What gets me thou is when idem are listed and  the seller claims they are not familiar with the idem .
Yet they set some ridicules price on it .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Rivverrat

I still think to some degree posts here have some effect.
But probably not as much as I think. I do believe some of you are right in stating the prices do come down.

Regardless good buys do come with
patience... Jeff

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 24, 2019, 01:13:00 AM
I still think to some degree posts here have some effect.

I'd say you're probably right about that Jeff. I never even thought about the masses when I make my posts here. My intention was to let members know which reels were great buys and which ones were lackluster. Thinking back, I have seen members ask for a certain part, and another member suggest an eBay listing. Then before the person in need can even get the part...it ends up sold. I guess with the the whole world watching that has to be expected, but it sure does suck. I've never sold a single thing on eBay, so my posts have never made me a nickel. I have made some good friends through those posts though, so I guess my good intentions did a little good. 8)

oc1

It is what it is.  We take the good with the bad.  I know the most upstanding among us will buy-up a few reels and get to know them before talking about it.
-steve

Rivverrat

Quote from: oc1 on July 24, 2019, 05:09:10 AM
It is what it is.  We take the good with the bad.....
-steve

I agree. I'd hate to see anything like this, how ever true it is or not, cause this place & its contributing members be any thing less than helpful.
I am guilty of this a bit. A lot of people have been encouraged here to take up once again a great hobby & pastime. Whether it be reel specific, fishing or both...& that is a great thing... Jeff

Rivverrat

Two more. One of these after being serviced will  go on an upcoming rod build for a customer. The Microlite is in really great shape one of the better ones I've come across.

Neither has the marks of a Googan using an I'll fitting tool.

mo65

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 25, 2019, 09:25:20 PM
   Neither has the marks of a Googan using an ill fitting tool.

That is the kind of find that excites me. We have a "photo of the month" thread. I think we need a "quote of the month"...and this quote is a great place to start! 8)