Squidder and jigmaster pinions

Started by mhc, February 01, 2017, 12:29:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I know a 13-140 squidder will not fit a jigmaster because the bottom of a 13-140 is not bored out to accept a bushing thanks to a quote from Sal in this 250 thread - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17571.0

I'm not sure what you have or what I have, but all the gears that I tested have 3.3:1 ratio.
The Surfmaster 100 pinion ( 13-200)  has 12 teeth, the main gear 5-60 has 40 teeth. 40 divided by 12 =3.3:1 ratio
The Surfmaster 250 pinion ( 13-500 ) ..............................................same...........................................................
The  Squidder                    ( 13-140)  ...............................................same...........................................................

The 13-200 will not work on the Surfmaster 250, or Jigmaster, the ID is too tight.
The 13-500 will work on the  Surfmaster 100 and obviously on the Surfmaster 250. It will feel a little too lose on the 100, but functional. I rather use the 13- 200 on those.
The 13-140 will not work on all except for the Squidder, the bottom part of the pinion is not drilled to accept a bushing.
We could make it work if we needed to, by drilling the bottom.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing the 13-500 will work in a squidder - but the bottom of the pinion that is drilled for the bushing will not be in contact with the spool shaft.
If that is the case - would a 13-140 pinion be a better choice for after market jigmaster side plates that use bearings instead of bushings? The full length of the pinion would be in contact with the shaft giving maximum support.

I think I need to go fishing   :(

Mike

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Mike, on your last comment, yes, you have a valid argument. Not much as support, it still has plenty,  but the teeth at that area do have more meat.
On that note, if comparing the pinions without the eased bottom with the Pro Challenger gears, I would say his are much stronger, even though they're drilled at the bottom.
I do not believe stock pinions are heat treated, I'm not 100% sure, but those are softer.

Go fish! ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mhc

Thanks Sal, I wasn't thinking of custom gears like Alan C's Pro Challenger sets, they seem to work fine. I was just thinking if you needed a pinion for stock 4:1 gears being used in an aftermarket side plate then the 13-140 would be a better choice - but the 13-500 seems to work fine as well so I'll take your advice and drop it.  ;D
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Mike, that was a very good on your part.
The ring on top is more important than the drilled bottom, to me anyway, especially on Squidder size reels.

Some pinions of the same size don't come with the reinforced ring, as Baymasters , Monifil and some others, it is always a good idea to replace those with the Jigmaster's pinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Porthos

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 02, 2017, 12:34:54 PM
...Some pinions of the same size don't come with the reinforced ring, as Baymasters , Monifil and some others, it is always a good idea to replace those with the Jigmaster's pinion.

Uhh...Sal, the Jigmaster 13-500 has too much play in the Baymasters and Monofils, IMHO...it's the Surfmaster 13-200 you want with these. Then again, since I fish my 27 as a 40lb reel, I may be biased towards the tighter tolerances...

mo65

Some pinions of the same size don't come with the reinforced ring, as Baymasters , Monifil and some others.

Now there's something I never even noticed...thanks for the enlightenment fellas. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: Porthos on February 02, 2017, 02:40:52 PM
...Some pinions of the same size don't come with the reinforced ring, as Baymasters , Monifil and some others, it is always a good idea to replace those with the Jigmaster's pinion.

Uhh...Sal, the Jigmaster 13-500 has too much play in the Baymasters and Monofils, IMHO...it's the Surfmaster 13-200 you want with these. Then again, since I fish my 27 as a 40lb reel, I may be biased towards the tighter tolerances...

Wai, you are correct, the 13-200 is a better choice. Now, on one of my Newell 29-100 spools, I had better luck using the 13-500, but that doesn't happen often.
The 13-500 would work, but the 13-200 is a much beeter, safer choice.

Sal

Keta

Some pinions of the same size don't come with the reinforced ring, as Baymasters , Monifil and some others, it is always a good idea to replace those with the Jigmaster's pinion.

Gears with the reinforcing ring are called hobbed gears and are much stronger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain