Color Recommendation

Started by The Great Maudu, February 01, 2017, 01:55:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

I have a 5'6" solid white blank I'm going to turn into a shark rod. I would like color suggestions for underwraps an overwraps. I just want to see if something comes up I haven't thought about. Thanks in advance.

Jeri

How about marbling under and over. Then thread colours become just black or anything spare. You end up with something totally unique

Cheers from sunny Africa

jeri

Newell Nut

My favorite personal white rod has dark blue underwrap and bright red over wrap. Small and simple red, blue and gold diamond wrap at the base. It just looks so patriotic. I like keeping it in my office since it is my favorite to look at.

STRIPER LOU

I agree with Dwight on the color choice. Blue and red with some gold or yellow is tough to beat on a white blank. Even black and red.  Those colors never seem to get old.

Hope we get to see the project when its done Mike.

Regards,  ..  Lou

The Great Maudu

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done the marbling on a few rods in the past and like that look. The red, white and blue sounds good too. I'll post pics once I start.

Cor

I have never tried that but look forward to seeing it.   Here we look for functionality, strength and not so much aesthetics.    also don't think I have the patience.

Quote from: Jeri on February 01, 2017, 03:29:40 PM
How about marbling under and over. Then thread colours become just black or anything spare. You end up with something totally unique

Cheers from sunny Africa

jeri
Nice job, all the way from Henties!
Cornelis

oc1

Are you making a shark fishing tool or beach art?   :) :) :) :)
-steve

Bryan Young

Personally, I like NCP navy blue with pink and purple trim bands.  Every time I made a rod with these colors, I ended up selling it because someone wanted it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

White blanks give you a lot of options. Just make sure that there's enough contrast between the colors otherwise the colors wash out. Metallic highlights look good too. If your'e not sure how the colors will stand out take a black and white photo with your phone, if you have the same shades of gray it's likely the colors won't stand out from each other. Try a few small bands on top of each other to see how they look, at times what looks good on the spools doesn't look so good on the rod. No reason you can't make a strong functional rod that looks good too. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

Sometimes you just have to go with colors you like. I've always said that I'd do the rod in any color but I won't pick it. Still sometimes I've wanted to charge extra for the abuse my eyes have gone thru ;)

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Bill B

Mike, I recently got this rod, and like the southwestern flavor of these colors.....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Jeri

Something we have been doing for quite while now that gives an awesome effect is to combine plain nylon thread with metallic when whipping over the feet of the guide.

In this case we started with plain black, 3 or 4 turns, then added the metallic red thread, and whipped the pair until nearly the end, then dropped the metallic and finished with the plain blank nylon. Finally tipping off with the red and silver. It doesn't look too significant when you are doing the threadwork, but once you hit it with the high build resin, it absolutely 'jumps', and the full effect is apparent.

Obviously now there are literally thousands of options between nylon and metallic combinations. Though this red on black is very popular, even with our very conservative surf anglers. Just something a little different. Find that blue and gold work well, all the black and metallics work well, then it becomes chaos and personal colour flavours become very personal. Did one recently for a lady, pink nylon mixed with magenta metallic - needed sunglasses to work on that one!!!

Beach Art or Fishing rods?? A little of both, and gives the rod builder a chance to be creative and demonstrate some different skills.

Thanks for the comment Cor, that rod is a very functional design, same design we do for some of the top competition anglers both Sa and Nam. Just wanted to do something different for my own rod. It still casts a mile.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

oc1

My apologies guys.  The "beach art" crack was too snarky.  Not sharky, but snarky.
-steve

Jeri

No need to apologise.

If you want to get sharky - try these threads.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

The Great Maudu

I am kinda liking the blue thread set up that Dave showed. As for beach art I notice stuff like that but can't remember the last time someone else commented on a rod. I've talked to some pros who say customers don't care about all the fancy stuff. They just want function. One shark rod I'll never forget was entirely marbled in purple, gold, red and black. It looked like some kind of giant wizards wand. Guy wouldn't sell it. Said some hippie built it for him.