Penn 110/99

Started by Alto Mare, February 05, 2017, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I just purchased this 1/0 Senator, I had many at one time and didn't realize I got rid of all.
So, I decided to get one back.
This reel is not for collecting, I'm actually going to fish it at some point.
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it and came up with a 99 size reel, it arrived to me nicely serviced, but wanted to do a little more to it.
As you will see on some of the pics, I replaced the clicker tongue and added a second dog.
The clicker was working fine, but decided to replace it anyway.
Here are a few pics:

These are nice little reels.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Everything is " nice little reel" after you get hold of it, Sal! Really sweet. I'm gonna hunt one down one of these days; about three dozen projects deep at back of the line lol.

mo65

That is a very usable reel...would excel in many situations. Great job! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

Great reelsmithing, Sal!

Dominick gave me a really nice old 1/0 for my Senator collection.  

Best Always,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Another beauty Sal. You'll enjoy fishing that reel. The guys here love them and the Monofils for catching fluke. Nice work Bud!
...............Lou

oc1

Nice Sal.  Any tips for holding and supporting the clicker post while you drill it out.  That often ends in disaster for me.
-steve

Bill B

Great build brother......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
Steve, I rested the clicker botton in a 1/4" hole on a piece of wood and held the plate by hand while lowering the drill press at low speed.
The plate or clicker never moved on me. The bit used was a 3/16 pilot point bit.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 05, 2017, 11:04:49 PM
Thanks guys!
Steve, I rested the clicker botton in a 1/4" hole on a piece of wood and held the plate by hand while lowering the drill press at low speed.
The plate or clicker never moved on me. The bit used was a 3/16 pilot point bit.

Sal
Steve don't be tricked into holding one with your hands.  You probably are not strong enough.  After working with bricks and stones all those years Sal's hands are like a vise.  If you ever meet him, look him in the eye but don't shake his hand.   :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

I'll remember that Dominick.  Thanks Sal.  I was probably doing several things wrong but it's been a while now.  I do remember the button spinning around though.
-steve

Alto Mare

Steve, I could see that happening if the tongue was loose on the post, maybe a set of wood clamps would help then. I use those often on other projects.

Sal

thorhammer

Sal, how did you peen new in place? support similarly and just whack it?

Rancanfish

I was wondering the same thing, that looked professional.

Who could ever get rid of these puppy Senators though?

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Alto Mare

Nice reels Ran.

John, I haven't found an easier way of peening. I tried resting the clicker on wood before with bad results.
What I do now is fold a towel twice an place it on the concrete floor, I lay the plate on it and  try to hold it flat as I hit it.
You will get best results using a small ball-peen hammer and try not to hit it too hard, just enough to shape it.
Take a look every once in a while and it will tell you where to hit it next.

Rancanfish

Thanks Sal.  On further thought,  I should have asked what kind of fishing can we use these for?

I guess SF Bay halibut here is a thought.  The reels are just so slooow.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.