Penn 110/99

Started by Alto Mare, February 05, 2017, 01:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompano joe

Nice job Sal!  Another reel I should have kept!
Pompano Joe

Alto Mare

Thanks againg Joe!

Quote from: Rancanfish on February 07, 2017, 12:38:25 AM
Thanks Sal.  On further thought,  I should have asked what kind of fishing can we use these for?

I guess SF Bay halibut here is a thought.  The reels are just so slooow.

Ran, it is slow, but not terrible.
Comparing the 3:1 gear ratio on the 1/0  to the 3.25:1 gear ratio on the Squidder, you would gain a couple of inches of line per crank.
Now, the 2/0 is slow.
You could use the 1/0 for many applications, it makes a great bottom fishing reel. Wouldn't mind using it for some cows here in the NE.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

Is there a faster gear set from another model that would fit the 110?

Alto Mare

Quote from: nelz on June 11, 2019, 05:14:22 AM
Is there a faster gear set from another model that would fit the 110?
Sorry, just saw this.
There are a few combinations you could do with these reels.
You could use the head plate from a Jigmaster, as some used to do with the 99 Silverbeach and use it to increase speed and I would say a little more drag as well.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

nelz

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 29, 2019, 11:18:33 AMThere are a few combinations you could do with these reels. You could use the head plate from a Jigmaster, as some used to do with the 99 Silverbeach and use it to increase speed and I would say a little more drag as well.
Sal

Thanks Sal, yeah, that would do the trick alright, and make it quick release too. But you know what, since I posted this I took the little reel out fishing, as is, and discovered I actually like the original gear set. Combined with its short handle, this little guy really cranks up those fish nicely. It's fully stock but for the HT100 disk set I added.

Besides, I've got other faster stronger reels, gonna let this one fill in the niche it was intended for. I'm using it to drop down under the pier for snapper. It's fun to use a vintage reel as is, and it gets alot of comments and compliments too.

Alto Mare

Quote from: nelz on June 29, 2019, 02:31:40 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on June 29, 2019, 11:18:33 AMThere are a few combinations you could do with these reels. You could use the head plate from a Jigmaster, as some used to do with the 99 Silverbeach and use it to increase speed and I would say a little more drag as well.
Sal

Thanks Sal, yeah, that would do the trick alright, and make it quick release too. But you know what, since I posted this I took the little reel out fishing, as is, and discovered I actually like the original gear set. Combined with its short handle, this little guy really cranks up those fish nicely. It's fully stock but for the HT100 disk set I added.

Besides, I've got other faster stronger reels, gonna let this one fill in the niche it was intended for. I'm using it to drop down under the pier for snapper. It's fun to use a vintage reel as is, and it gets alot of comments and compliments too.
Very good, that is always the best way, to just try it out. Just don't try it with what I've mentioned or you're back to the original question...just kidding of course :)...most of my fishing is done on these little guys.
Have fun out there.

Sal