They also catch fish !!

Started by SilverRidge, February 08, 2017, 05:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverRidge

The Dam Quick Microlite with a fun size large mouth bass on an ultralight TFO 6'o spin/fly rod cannot have more fun on any tackle, the Microlite has a great drag system and performed flawlessly

** the reel BTW was made for me from scratch ( parts ) by Fred, what a talented good natured person he is **

CH

NICE!  :)
You'll be amazed how big of fish you can catch with these set ups.
I like 4 lb. blue Stren best on these rigs.... A bit of stretch with low memory and abrasion resistant.

Keep on catching!
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

SilverRidge

CH, there is a 4 lb test Trilene line spooled on that reel, you really want to try a tremendous line, treat yourself to some Berkley Nanolfil, not a braid or monofilament, zero coiling, good knot strength and most of You'll find you will have increased your casting distance by 50 percent easily, not affiliated with these folks, just a firm believer in a good product when I see and use it and wanting to pass it on to my fellow fisher people ..

Paul

CH

Quote from: SilverRidge on February 09, 2017, 04:00:43 PM
------- you really want to try a tremendous line, treat yourself to some Berkley Nanolfil, not a braid or monofilament, zero coiling, good knot strength and most of You'll find you will have increased your casting distance by 50 percent easily,-----------
Paul
Thanks.
Never tried it, but you describe excellent properties for a light line.
I'll give it a shot.

I know I hate Spiderwire and never cared much for the old Berkley Trilene. But there are types of Stren I'm not overly fond of either. :)

BTW - the good old mono Stren has about the same properties you describe.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Swami805

Just wondering if you get wind knots with that nanolfil. I've tried several brands of braid using a spinning reel with sibikis and those wind knots are horrible. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SilverRidge

The line is not a braid or any kind of monofilament, some type of synthetic mixture that IMHO makes this the finest line I've ever used, zero memory, used 4-6-8 lb test and have never experienced a wind knot, that's all and good BUT, the thing that fascinates me about this line is the casting distance, not to be believed until one uses it, you know all of us fisher people buy every tackle product we read or hear about in our never ending quest for the ultimate tackle that will make us more proficient in the sport we have chosen, I know I do, but in the long run they are very rarely close to what they advertise. Like the majority of you members been doing it for many moons, and this product has caught my eye more so than any purchase in a long while, again I sound like a salesman for Berkley nanofil lines, no interest in the company other than using their product ..thanks for listening to my rant, I think I put too much sugar in my morning coffee ...

Paul 

CH

Darn it.... ;D you're forcing me to go buy a spool of this stuff now.  I have a freshly repaired & serviced old 110 on a Berkley Cherrywood rod that needs fresh line. I live out in the sticks so I hope they have it at Wally World. If not it's shopping at Amazon time (as usual)

Looks like I'd want either the "clear mist" or the "low vis green". I'm guessing the "clear mist" is the most invisible?

Looks like this would be especially good in larger size test if it holds up to it's claims. 
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

SilverRidge

Sorry I twisted your arm CH  ;D ;D I just put some clear mist 4 lb test on my 110n, this line isn't inexpensive I might add believe I paid like $19.95 for 150 yard spool, FishUsa, or Cabelas ( which I was recently told is being bought out by Bass pro shops ) usually inventories the line as fair prices ..  Good luck and if you do purchase it let me know yours thoughts on the line, it looks and feels like no other line you've ever handled ...

Paul

CH

Quote from: SilverRidge on February 10, 2017, 06:14:18 PM
Sorry I twisted your arm CH  ;D ;D I just put some clear mist 4 lb test on my 110n, this line isn't inexpensive I might add believe I paid like $19.95 for 150 yard spool, FishUsa, or Cabelas ( which I was recently told is being bought out by Bass pro shops ) usually inventories the line as fair prices ..  Good luck and if you do purchase it let me know yours thoughts on the line, it looks and feels like no other line you've ever handled ...

Paul

OK :) will do.
Looks like I'll be getting mine Amazon Prime style.
Looks like you can get better deals on 17 lb test in this line.
Likely try some of this too. Looks like good stuff for a big catfish rig.

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

SilverRidge

17 lb test isn't your run of the mill line for freshwater fishing small streams and creeks, no doubt that line test is good for big lake fishing, that's probably why its so much less expensive due to its popularity, I think the heaviest line I've used on a spinnng reel was 10 lb test, the lighter the better for me, more sporting with ultralight tackle IMHO, that's what peaked my interest in the 265 Microlite, the Daiwa 500C in my collection is even smaller than the 265' the 700C is about the same size as the 265, on one of the 500C is spooled a 2 weight line, that's lightweight ! Still very effective if used correctly ..

CH

Well yeah, I agree on the light line. I actually have 3 110's - each spooled different and on different size rods for the purpose used.
2 lb. 4 lb. 6 lb.

I also mainly use 10 lb. or less line. Except when it comes to hauling out big Blue or Shovelhead  cats from the larger rivers. You have 15 to 50 lb. fish in current and snags. In that scenario light line is not going to fair well unless you get real lucky.

I also do a lot of channel cat fishing in local lakes and use either my 110N on a 7 ft. ultra light rod loaded with 6 lb. test., my Mitchell 300 loaded with 8lb. Or my Penn 4000 loaded with 10 lb. depending on the day, location and bait.

I'm a rabid ultra light guy though. Mainly fishing trout, bass, walleye, sauger, crappie. either wading or kayaking. And I love using my lightest outfits to catch much bigger fish as a challenge. I've caught some pretty good size pike in Michigan on ultra lights  though and some pretty big carp and bass.

Ultra light fishing is very addictive. And Smallmouth are my favorite. Not many things more enjoyable than wading down a clean stream through the woods, nobody around and casting roostertails behind rocks and riffles using a 5ft. rod with a Quick 110 loaded with 4lb. :) . Been doing that for nearly 50 years and it hasn't gotten old yet.

Give the new Penn Fierce ll 1000 a try. I am seldom impressed with the newer ultra lights being I'm a die hard vintage spin fisherman, but this reel is a dandy. USA made, all metal, fantastic drag. Great price too! $50 on Amazon.

Cheers
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

Midway Tommy

Quote from: CH on February 11, 2017, 07:14:47 PM
Give the new Penn Fierce ll 1000 a try. I am seldom impressed with the newer ultra lights being I'm a die hard vintage spin fisherman, but this reel is a dandy. USA made, all metal, fantastic drag. Great price too! $50 on Amazon.
Cheers

You might want to double check on the Made in USA part. It's my understanding that the Z & Torque are their only USA made spinning reels.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

CH

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 11, 2017, 10:16:17 PM
Quote from: CH on February 11, 2017, 07:14:47 PM
Cheers

You might want to double check on the Made in USA part. It's my understanding that the Z & Torque are their only USA made spinning reels.

Ok, sorry, my mistake. Thank you for correcting me. :)
I had to dig deep to find out the lower end Penn spinners are in fact china made.
That said, they are still said to be made to Penn specs and have to pass Penn quality control.
Still great reels that are very well made IMHO.
And truthfully, these days, made in USA "unfortunately" does not always mean quality. I've bought a lot of USA made garbage.
A real shame as I remember when made in the USA was always a symbol of quality.
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

SilverRidge

I'm hijacking my own thread here, talking about made USA products it's a shame we have that label as inferior workmanship, we are all a product of our environment, Just read that Gander mountain stores are filing for bankruptcy and the Cabelas being bought out by Bass pro shops is on shaky grounds, that's what the WWW will do to major chains ....
Talk to you gents later, on my way to the local Gun show down here in south Florida

Paul

CH

Quote from: SilverRidge on February 12, 2017, 01:03:47 PM
I'm hijacking my own thread here, talking about made USA products it's a shame we have that label as inferior workmanship, we are all a product of our environment, Just read that Gander mountain stores are filing for bankruptcy and the Cabelas being bought out by Bass pro shops is on shaky grounds, that's what the WWW will do to major chains ....
Talk to you gents later, on my way to the local Gun show down here in south Florida

Paul

DAM Quick  ..... never was USA made.  ;) so I reckon I've always chose quality first over buying American. Of course they match nicely to good old fashioned "American made" Fenwick rods. ;D

I buy quality stuff no matter where it comes from.
Quality is what matters to me.And "true value" for the money spent.
The shame is that the American work ethic is not what it use to be.

The WWW offers choice &  competition. Competition & choice is a good thing.
Buy American if it deserves to be bought. But quality & value for the money is what is most important.

Ah yes.... nice warm rain last night - temps in the high sixties. Heading down to the creek to throw hand made USA jigs at smallies & redeye with my West German reel mounted on my USA rod, loaded with my USA line. Global warming does have it's benefits.

L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted