Main Menu

Reels

Started by Wayne The Punk, February 11, 2017, 07:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne The Punk

Hi everyone. I have been fishing for over 40 years now. Just recently started lure fishing, I was amazed how quickly fixed spool reels seem to need maintenance. I suppose I was spoiled by having an Abu 7000 in the 80s, which just seemed to require a wash under the tap and a drip of oil

Not looking to rebuild the planet, would just like to keep my reels smooth

David Hall

That s what it's all about, plus hot ridding reels, and fixing your friends reels, and ..........

BryanC

Not all spinning (fixed spool) reels are created equal with regard to need for frequent maintenance.  In the past 15-20 years, spinning reels have been marketed mainly on price and number of bearings.  Evidently more bearings = better in the eyes of most of the market.  So there are a lot of spinners with bearings where they aren't needed.  Sometimes they don't offer a substantial benefit at all, except to jack up the bearing count.  Between this and the trend for low price, "use it till it breaks then toss it" reels, you see a lot of them that need attention frequently.

There are a lot of people on this site who appreciate older, quality gear that was built to last.  You can find 50 year old Penn and Mitchell spinners that still work like new, and don't require a lot of TLC to keep them functioning properly.  These reels may not perform well with modern braided line, as the spool oscillation was not designed for that.  But they work very well with mono.

Some modern spinners are better than others also.  The new Daiwa BG reels have been getting favorable reviews.  I purchased two of them myself in December, but have I not been fishing for the past few months due to a back injury and haven't got to test them yet.  I expect them to do pretty well though, based on everything I've read.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Hello Wayne.....you have found the greatest place for reel repair and maintenance.  As Bryan has so well said, the Penn, Mitchell's, and I would add the DAM Quicks can do just anything you would want to do......We would love to see pictures of your gear.  Grab a cup of coffee, sit back and enjoy the ride.  Bill, Sacramento Delta.
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

foakes

Welcome aboard, Wayne --

What part of the UK are you in?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Welcome, Wayne! Most of what you want to know can be found here, and if you can't find it just ask. someone will know and help.

Given you're from the UK and have had experience with the ABU line & the 7000 you have probably already heard the about great reputation of the Swedish made ABU Cardinals, 3, 4, 4X, 6, 6X, 7, 7X, 33, 44, 44X, 66, 66X, 77, 77X, etc. Many consider them, although arguably, one of, if not the best production fixed spool reels ever manufactured. They're well engineered, easy to use, low maintenance work horses that, like the Energizer Bunny, just keep going & going & going and catching fish day in and day out just like they did when they were first introduced 50+ years ago in 1965! While the NIB and mint examples are greatly sought after and extremely collectible, lesser appearance Cardinals are also highly desired by the everyday fisher person that has, in the past, experienced their quality, ease of maintenance and durability.

Try one like one of those shown below, I think you'll be extremely impressed and pleased.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

Hi Wayne & welcome - You could do worse than ask Fred (Foakes) about Damquick reels ;)

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.